Keeping the legs/crotch warm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adamangler

Veteran
Just thinking ahead for long winter rides to come....I have no problem keeping the upper body warm simply layers, hands, feet,head again no problem.

The one area I always struggle with is the legs, particularly the thighs, ass and front crotch/ private part area....it's quite obvious really these areas are exposed to the wind with just a thin layer of lycra covering as opposed to the upper body with 5 layers on...

I've tried many tights but always find these areas getting particularly wet, cold, red Raw and numb first..

Can anyone recommend any thermal bibs that are REALLY warm? Or what other options are there?....I've used a wooly had shoved down the genitals before lol but that doesn't help the thighs...

Would long John's work? A paid of MTB shorts perhaps? (Fashion police alert)

I would like to get as comfy as possible this year rather than enduring the rides which is what I always seem to do...nothing worse than being red hot up top only to have numb nether regions.

Any tips ? Thanks

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
il_340x270.1211651463_p7qi.jpg

alicat

Legendary Member
Add an extra layer in that area. Ladies' tights used to be a popular option.

I don't wear bibs and am female so my solution might not work for you. I use a pair of padded shorts as the base layer then unpadded thermal longs. As they are not on show I can use an older pair.

U

User6179

Unpadded tights with padded bib shorts underneath, if really cold I wear a liner short under both , the club guys seem to go for tights with bib shorts on top.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Take a look at cross country ski pants which a stretchy, windproof at front, and breath at the back. Then have seperate padded undershorts underneath. Saloman do some good ones.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Long johns with some thicker (fleecy) tights. Best tights are those with wind resistant material on the front.

Top Bottom