Keeping your bike safe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was just browsing the stolen bikes section. I'm not sure if this thread should be there or in general, apologies if it's in the wrong place.

This is something I worry about a bit. How do we keep our bikes safe, especially when out and about. Let's say you stop at a cafe or pub for a pit stop one afternoon. If you can keep your bike right with you, great, but that's not always possible.

Modern bikes tend to have quick release wheels and seat, so even a decent bike lock could potentially see you coming back to Little more than frame and forks.

Please bear in mind in offering ideas that being a public forum, potentially thieves could take ideas, but without giving too much away, what do folks do to ensure their bikes don't get nicked?

Drago

Legendary Member
I simply give 'em the stare.

p03ttnmh.jpg

Even chuck Norris would be too frightened to pinch my bike.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Insure it. On long rides you can't carry locks to really secure it - far too heavy. For commuting, get a massive lock (or two) and leave it at work.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Cycle with company and stop at places where you can see bikes or sit with them outside. Take heavy locks if about town with a long cable. Lock up in public place. Don't habe quick release for seat post.

vickster

Legendary Member
Insure it. On long rides you can't carry locks to really secure it - far too heavy. For commuting, get a massive lock (or two) and leave it at work.
I quite happily carry a D lock in my rack bag on most rides, leisure or commute. If I don't have a lock, the bike comes into the pub garden, coffee shop, supermarket...

+1 for insurance, through home contents cover

Security does get discussed often ... e.g.
https://www.cyclechat.net/search/12136328/?q=Lock&t=post&o=relevance&c[node]=55

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Outside the triple locked, alarmed attached garage the bike is only underneath me or in my sight at a cafe or pub. End of.

classic33

Leg End Member
Landmine as an audio alarm. Locked with a motorcycle lock.

Johnno260

Veteran
a locks a delay or deterrent, if they’re thieves targeting high value bikes they will take it.

I left my bike a few years back locked to a metal barrier right outside a leisure center entrance fully glass entrance, and the staff didn’t question a white van and a guy with bolt cutters.

These days if I’m going to the shops for essentials I take my pos Muddy Fox MTB no one will steal that thing it’s fugly.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If I'm nipping into a shop for a minute or so, I just use a £5 cable lock. It possibly prevents somebody just walking off with it. For stops of any longer, it's a Sold Secure Gold D lock with the front wheel, back wheel and frame inside it. It's insured on home contents insurance too. If they want it, they'll take it. Stop worrying.

Reactions: mjr

PaulSB

Legendary Member
There is no point in worrying about cycle theft. Do all you can to secure your bike under any given circumstances and ride a bike appropriate, if possible, to those circumstances.

Most of my riding is traditional club style 2-3 times per week. This means using cafes which are secure or with full visibility plus a cafe lock. If I'm touring I carry a D lock for times when I need to leave the bike out of my sight.

Do you worry about household security? Or do you just take sensible precautions? It's the same with bikes.

Unusual, old or thoroughly unfashionable bike for commuting, locked like it's a Bianchi carbon job. I use two locks as an extra deterrent. They wouldn't stop a professional thief but a pro wouldn't be looking for a bike like mine anyway.

A Bakfiets is heavy enough that on family rides it is the bike stand.

Added to this, we're in Stuttgart, not Amsterdam or Freiburg: I guess there are advantages to being in a car-centric city with low crime rates.

Reactions: mjr

Gary E

Veteran
I only ever have cafe stops in my ride if I'm with someone, that way one of you can stay with the bikes while the other goes for coffee and cakes. If I can't sit outside within arms reach of my bike then I simply don't stop - no cake, no matter how good, is worth losing my good bike for :smile:
When at home my bikes are locked in my man-cave, inside a garage with a steel door that you'd need oxyacetylene to get through :smile:
But to be honest a determined thief will always find a way, :cursing: I worry about how easy it would be, when cyclists are on a long single track country lane, miles from anywhere and riding alone, for a couple of guys in a van to simply block the road and take the bike from under them :wacko: Obviously, in my case there'd need to be several of them, all armed to the teeth and perepared to fight to the death :boxing::ph34r::ninja::hyper:

Top Bottom