Keeping your bike safe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I only ever have cafe stops in my ride if I'm with someone, that way one of you can stay with the bikes while the other goes for coffee and cakes. If I can't sit outside within arms reach of my bike then I simply don't stop - no cake, no matter how good, is worth losing my good bike for :smile:
When at home my bikes are locked in my man-cave, inside a garage with a steel door that you'd need oxyacetylene to get through :smile:
But to be honest a determined thief will always find a way, :cursing: I worry about how easy it would be, when cyclists are on a long single track country lane, miles from anywhere and riding alone, for a couple of guys in a van to simply block the road and take the bike from under them :wacko: Obviously, in my case there'd need to be several of them, all armed to the teeth and perepared to fight to the death :boxing::ph34r::ninja::hyper:

Exactly the same here. I carry a CO2 cylinder for inflating tyres and in the hope that if a couple of burly blokes with a van tried to deprive me of my bike a blast of icy gas in the eyes might shock them enough for me to get away.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If I'm nipping into a shop for a minute or so, I just use a £5 cable lock. It possibly prevents somebody just walking off with it. For stops of any longer, it's a Sold Secure Gold D lock with the front wheel, back wheel and frame inside it. It's insured on home contents insurance too. If they want it, they'll take it. Stop worrying.
This. Except that it's a £10 cable lock (12mm braid of braids) with an optional alarm on it and I use it as well as the D on longer stops instead of removing the front wheel. I prefer to park somewhere with other bikes (because people tend to lock flashier bikes than mine with wire string still here) and with no motoring access and CCTV or plenty of passing walkers in the hope it'll deter thieves with the noisier attack tools. Not had a bike nicked yet, despite studying and working at UEA for 6 years and often cycling into Cambridge since then (although I'm very cautious there).

Not sure I see much point in most cycling if you can't stop anywhere.

OP
OP
U

User76022

Exactly the same here. I carry a CO2 cylinder for inflating tyres and in the hope that if a couple of burly blokes with a van tried to deprive me of my bike a blast of icy gas in the eyes might shock them enough for me to get away.
Does this kind of thing happen? That would be scary.

Personally in that situation I'd give them my bike. I have a wife and 2 young kids. I'm not voluntarily getting into a fight against determined aggressors over a replaceable material possession. Fair play if it's a scrawny little chav and I might be able to push them to the ground then ride away, but not 'a couple of burly blokes'.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Big MC hd locks burglar alarm tripple locked garage and gates and insurance.
i have a big lock at work too,sod carrying that.

if im out i dont leave my bikes,thankfully im usually with others so its easy.
or i lock it in my van if im at my usual mtb place.

I was just browsing the stolen bikes section. I'm not sure if this thread should be there or in general, apologies if it's in the wrong place.

This is something I worry about a bit. How do we keep our bikes safe, especially when out and about. Let's say you stop at a cafe or pub for a pit stop one afternoon. If you can keep your bike right with you, great, but that's not always possible.

Modern bikes tend to have quick release wheels and seat, so even a decent bike lock could potentially see you coming back to Little more than frame and forks.

Please bear in mind in offering ideas that being a public forum, potentially thieves could take ideas, but without giving too much away, what do folks do to ensure their bikes don't get nicked?

If someone really wants to nick your bike, they will. There really is no way to prevent it, unless you stay with it, and even that isn’t a guarantee. If you ride a bike, get it properly insured, that way, when it does go walkies, at least you’ll get (some) of the cost back.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If someone really wants to nick your bike, they will. There really is no way to prevent it, unless you stay with it, and even that isn’t a guarantee. If you ride a bike, get it properly insured, that way, when it does go walkies, at least you’ll get (some) of the cost back.
Or if you can afford it, put aside enough money to replace it. That'll normally work out cheaper than insurance because you're not paying insurance company profits. It's like the difference between saving and borrowing.

classic33

Leg End Member
Or if you can afford it, put aside enough money to replace it. That'll normally work out cheaper than insurance because you're not paying insurance company profits. It's like the difference between saving and borrowing.
Using that system, you lose either way. More than once!

classic33

Leg End Member
How do you work that out? This way, you lose at most one bike's worth per theft. Buying insurance, you lose a bike's worth every few years for sure.
You replace the bike from your own money, on top of loosing the bike.

Using that system, you lose either way. More than once!
As I found out earlier this year.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1jJP0CcuJyE

This will account for most padlocks.

4uehM46.jpg

These will core even the best D lock.

ZMpL49j.jpg

These will make mincemeat out of just about any lock / chain / railing, and they fold up, so can be easily concealed. If someone wants your bike, they will get it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
1 - Worse cheap padlocks you only use on suitcases to keep your stuff from falling out. All were the same type.
2 - That's the old fashioned d-locks with a 'barrel lock' - not seen an old one for years.
3 - Won't cut through a well placed d-lock, unless you are 'The Rock'

4 - Portable angle grinder - that will do it, makes loads of noise though.

classic33

Leg End Member
Top Bottom