Keeping your bike seat dry--please help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Funny - I've been using them since 1967 and the only problems I've had are theft and being chewed up by a mouse. They're the most durable bike component there is, and the only seat that's comfortable for use 14 hours a day for 16 days on the trot, straight out of the box. (That was the replacement for the chewed one).

In my experiene Brooks saddles are totally oblivious to rain from above and spray from below. Not sure about vegetarian flatulence, I can only vouch for resistance to the carnivorous type.

Being relatively new to the Brooks saddle (mine has done around 1,700 miles since beginning of August) I've been covering it with a carrier bag if it looked like it would get rained on in the car park at work. It said not to get it wet in the book, do I not need to bother?

And +1 to it being comfortable straight out the box. The first outing for mine was a 160 miler.

Davidc

Guru
Being relatively new to the Brooks saddle (mine has done around 1,700 miles since beginning of August) I've been covering it with a carrier bag if it looked like it would get rained on in the car park at work. It said not to get it wet in the book, do I not need to bother?

And +1 to it being comfortable straight out the box. The first outing for mine was a 160 miler.

Undoubtedly good advice, which I try to follow for everything on a bike, at least at the level of drying them when I get in if they get wet.

Mine (Brooks saddles) have got well wetted many times, but they've all had the proofide stuff put on them as instructed and also on the underside, so water just runs off. As I said above I carry shower caps to keep the saddle dry if it's raining - for my benefit not the saddle's - so soaking doesn't happen often to either the Brooks or to the plastic one on the mtb. I don't think riding in the wet without mudguards would be the best of ideas either, but I don't so no problem there either.

Davidc

Guru
[QUOTE 1226850"]
That's another reason not to buy a Brookes -dogs like to chew them. they think they're those shrivelled pigs ears.
[/quote]
Don't keep dogs so not likely to be a problem.

If you wan't to ride round on a plastic saddle that's fine by me - less demand for leather ones means lower costs if I ever need another one.

Unless my present Brooks gets stolen I'm expecting it to outlast me so that's not really an issue, but I might decide to buy another if I do as I keep threatening to and change the mtb for a trekking bike ....

BTW The saddle was minor compared to some of the damage that mouse did.

Top Bottom