Kent today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
So I went out for a ride today. A route I know quite well.

The route: Oh the route. Such joy. Everything from A roads to quiet country lanes. Climbs, descents, flats that can be done at speed. 65 miles of pure joy. If you've never been out on the Kent lanes on a day when everyone else is at work, you're missing one of life's great joys. Perfect.

The weather: Oh the weather. Sunny for the most part, it started off cool but gradually warmed up to something pleasant but not too hot. Under the trees on the lanes, it remained cool offering brief moments of absolute bliss. Perfect.

The bike: Oh the bike. Lelly of course, freshly cleaned and greased. She flew at the mere press of a pedal. The tiny flex as I applied power and then the spring as the frame flexed forwards. Chasing down other cyclists, climbing hills or just savouring a flat bit at speed, Lelly handled it all with aplomb. Perfect.

However, around 10 miles into my ride I encountered a cyclist coming the other way. I waved and nodded but nothing. How rude. How dare he be so rude to me? I'm a member of the Fridays, a member of the Saturday Morning Ride back to Home crew, a finisher of LEL 2013. Did he not see the LEL sticker on Lelly's frame? Hell's teeth, even if he didn't recognise me surely he recognised Lelly? The kerb! The absolute kerbhead.

Needless to say I arrived home as miserable as sin and in one of the grumpiest of moods SWMBO has ever seen me in. The kerb had ruined what should have been a perfect ride.

One or more of the above sentences may be completely untrue and a total load of b*****cks.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Now you tell us. I was wondering which one of us was late on the Rochester Way. I had my window wound down ready to give you a wave as well. You'd have been better off waving at the cars.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Sounds fab, what route did you take?
My house, south circular, Grove Park, Bromley, Biggin Hill, Westerham, Four Elms, Hever Castle, Chiddingstone, Chiddingstone Causeway, Ightham Mote, Stone Street, Seal, Pilgrims way, Otford, Polhill, A21 back to Bromley, and as at the start.

Top Bottom