Keo pedals - I've had enough!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Been using Look Keo pedals for six years now and I'm unhappy at how poorly made they are. The cheaper all-plastic pedals wear out fast and as the cleats also wear fast they start to click and creak. The better quality pedals have a metal plate on top but the cleats still wear fast. The right hand pedal unscrews from its cartridge and needs to be glued back on. The bearings wear fast and begin to click within a few hundred miles. I sent one pair back to Wiggle who replaced them free of charge but now the new ones have developed a loud click when the pedal moves up and down on the spindle.

I'm going to send them back and go over to Shimano. Do Shimano road pedals and cleats give more reliable service?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I have virtually no issues with Shimano ones, which is why I use them. 10,000+ miles last year on SPD-SL's (basic 540's, 105's and Ultegra) and have been fine.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Been using top end Deltas with no issues. Alloy bodies with carbon back plates. To stop the creaks, occasionally sand off any black marks, this is important for the alloy pedals as this is alloy deposits and causes creaks. Also Mr Sheen the cleats occasionally.

Applies to Keo also.

Personally, I'd buy the more expensive ones with the metal plates on the wear areas.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've emailed the Look brand manager at Fisher Outdoor and told him I'm going over to Shimano unless he can tell me there's going to be a big improvement in quality. To my surprise I received a reply quite soon after but not surpsisingly, all it contains is a bland assurance that Look check everything carefully.

My son's Keo 2 Max pedals have also unscrewed from their cartridges. So it looks as if Wiggle is the cheapest source of 3 pairs of SPD-SL Ultegra pedals and two pairs of cleats for our bikes, which will at least bring us in line with our regular cycling buddy who bought SPD-SLs without realising they were different from Look.... ha ha.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I have used both Keo and Shimano SPDs. The Keo cleats do wear out more quickly than the Shimano's. I try not to walk in them too much, that seems to be the biggest issue.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I used Shimano for years with no problems, until I bought some carbon 105 spd-sl & after 3 rides i couldn't clip in :sad: Sent them back to wiggle who replaced them (along with new cleats ^_^) but within a year I was struggling to clip in again & the rhs pedal would not spin on it's axle. I've now switched to Look Keo, but its still early days, hopefully I'll get more life from these :blush:

I've had no issues with my Look Keo Classics.
Your single-example punt for Keo pedals does prove something: that you've had no issues with them.

In the field it is a different story and plenty of returns and complaints are a better gauge of their quality. Look has been making ski fastenings and pedals for decades, yet they cannot afford the services of an experience engineer to help them with designing a cartridge attachment that doesn't come loose with precessional forces. A good design is worth its weight in gold and over a product lifetime a few extra hours on CAD and calculator adds nothing to the cost of a better design. Even the cost of different materials is immaterial in this case. It is a poor show from Look, who started off very well and revolutionized the pedal business.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I do remember that when I mountain biked I used Shimano SPD pedals for around 21 years and never needed to send a pair back; they continued to work in the filth and wet of off-road Lancashire with far more clips/unclips than a road pedal and only needed replacing when the tops wore and the cleat fit became sloppy.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I do remember that when I mountain biked I used Shimano SPD pedals for around 21 years and never needed to send a pair back; they continued to work in the filth and wet of off-road Lancashire with far more clips/unclips than a road pedal and only needed replacing when the tops wore and the cleat fit became sloppy.
You have your answer there!

I have been using MTB SPDs on all of my bikes for years but I decided to put Looks back on my best bike when I tarted it up a couple of years ago. Partly because of appearance, and partly to allow me to wear my Sidi shoes, which don't suit SPD cleats.

The Look/Sidi combination did look better, and was comfortable, but it wasn't long before the creaking started. Then I had to do an emergency dismount when my legs gave up on a 25% climb and I slipped and almost fell flat on my face. Within a couple of months, the cleats were wearing out.

I gave up and went back to SPDs!

AlanW

Guru
No issues with Look pedals either, 15k miles per year. Other than the early ones used to squeal and drive me nuts!! And I just love the Look carbon blades ^_^

Top Bottom