Key to get off Avanti train.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
When travelling on Avanti trains, (where you have to be let on and off with your bike), despite booking a cycle place and informing the guard where you're getting off, I find there's usually a fraught time on arrival where I'm not sure if the doors will be opened. I could do with one of the keys to open the door. They seem to have a square top to them.
Anyone know if they have a name and where I could get one?
Failing that I'll just measure the gap next time I travel.
DO NOT even think about it , the best you could expect is having to deal with a very irritated driver or conductor . Worst outcome cosy chat With British Transport police officers, with the chance of prosecution and a criminal record . What would I do , if I had informed the guard of my required stop and appeared to have been forgotten and did not want to be over carried, “ pull the handle down“ . That is use the emergency handle .

OP
OP
Tail End Charlie

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
but you could get into the bike storage area from inside the train?
Not without pulling hard on the inner door, which I only saw worked when another cyclist did it. Like you I like to keep an eye on my bike and at a previous stop I tried to open the door, but there wasn't a button to press, so thought you needed a key (which the guard uses, he doesn't force the door).

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
It can get a bit buttock clenching on the West Coast, but so far I have been OK. On one occasion I was part way through man handling my bike through the carriage, as I was concerned the next stop was nearly 200 miles away, when the guard turned up. - Apparently he had to walk the full length of the train. Although I was told by a cyclist on another occasion that he was forgotten and ended up in London. (200 miles away).
I don't think I would be messing with the external door to the carriage. I suspect that is going to bring a whole world inconvenience to you.
If you are concerned, why not stand in the doorway of the nearest automatic door to the bike storage? That way you can get the guard's or station attendant's attention.

OP
OP
Tail End Charlie

Tail End Charlie

DO NOT even think about it , the best you could expect is having to deal with a very irritated driver or conductor . Worst outcome cosy chat With British Transport police officers, with the chance of prosecution and a criminal record . What would I do , if I had informed the guard of my required stop and appeared to have been forgotten and did not want to be over carried, “ pull the handle down“ . That is use the emergency handle .
I don't see why the driver or guard should be irritated, the door should be opened, does it matter who does it. I'd have thought they'd be much more irritated if I pull the emergency handle.
In the instance I mentioned, where the door wasn't opened and I had to get off at the next stop, should I have pulled the emergency handle? I think not.

Not without pulling hard on the inner door, which I only saw worked when another cyclist did it. Like you I like to keep an eye on my bike and at a previous stop I tried to open the door, but there wasn't a button to press, so thought you needed a key (which the guard uses, he doesn't force the door).
As I recall there isn't an auto button like on the doors between carriages - just a "handle" * which you pull sideways.

* technical term.

The door isn't locked - just pull it normally - no need for special tricks, breaking and entering tools, battering rams, keys, cutting equipment.

So I'd check your bike now and again if you want - or when you can see through the window that another cyclist is getting on.

As for getting your bike off through the outer door, just tell the train manager/captain or whatever they call him - he's often to be found in a mini office/cupboard.

They used to reserve a special seat for cyclists near the bike compartment but this may have changed with covid.

I usually find them very well organised if you communicate wit them - last time I got on (at Preston) the guy helping me get on knew that three bikes that had come down from glasgow were due to get off so he cautioned me to let them off first.

OP
OP
Tail End Charlie

Tail End Charlie

It can get a bit buttock clenching on the West Coast, but so far I have been OK. On one occasion I was part way through man handling my bike through the carriage, as I was concerned the next stop was nearly 200 miles away, when the guard turned up. - Apparently he had to walk the full length of the train. Although I was told by a cyclist on another occasion that he was forgotten and ended up in London. (200 miles away).
I don't think I would be messing with the external door to the carriage. I suspect that is going to bring a whole world inconvenience to you.
If you are concerned, why not stand in the doorway of the nearest automatic door to the bike storage? That way you can get the guard's or station attendant's attention.
Blimey, I've been forgotten but the next stop was only 25 miles or so! Thanks for your suggestion.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I'm aware of those, but fail to see which offence I could possibly commit.
Don't worry, the TOC will have a long list to choose from.

I once made the mistake of not renewing my railcard, and spent an interestng month writing letters to try and ensure I didn't get a criminal record.

BreadBaker

Even if not a criminal offence, it is contrary to the Railways Byelaws:

No person shall:
  1. move, operate, obstruct, stop or in any other way interfere with any automatic closing door, train, or any other equipment on the railway except:
    1. in an emergency, by means of any equipment on or near which there is a notice indicating that it is intended to be used in an emergency or
    2. any equipment intended for the use of passengers in that way in normal operating circumstances
You can be prosecuted for it and Train Operating Companies regularly do use the Byelaws to prosecute people (mainly for ticketing offences). You could end up with a criminal conviction.

Don't do it.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I don't see why the driver or guard should be irritated, the door should be opened, does it matter who does it. I'd have thought they'd be much more irritated if I pull the emergency handle.
In the instance I mentioned, where the door wasn't opened and I had to get off at the next stop, should I have pulled the emergency handle? I think not.
I’m with Badger Boom, the TOC , BTP and there lawyers will have no problem finding a suitable offence to charge you with. You carry on with your plan Tail End . What do I know I’m only a retired Train Driver.

OP
OP
Tail End Charlie

Tail End Charlie

Even if not a criminal offence, it is contrary to the Railways Byelaws:

No person shall:
  1. move, operate, obstruct, stop or in any other way interfere with any automatic closing door, train, or any other equipment on the railway except:
    1. in an emergency, by means of any equipment on or near which there is a notice indicating that it is intended to be used in an emergency or
    2. any equipment intended for the use of passengers in that way in normal operating circumstances
You can be prosecuted for it and Train Operating Companies regularly do use the Byelaws to prosecute people (mainly for ticketing offences). You could end up with a criminal conviction.

Don't do it.
Not how I read it, but happy to leave it there.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The two seats closest the bike storage are reserved for cyclists (least they were last time I took a bike). So you can sit there rather than your reserved seat. If sat in another carriage don’t wait till station is announced before heading through to where your bike is. You have all the door huggers to get past.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If sat in another carriage don’t wait till station is announced before heading through to where your bike is. You have all the door huggers to get past.
If you CAN...!
I'm just feeling slightly nervous because of an incident a few years ago at Coventry station. I had boarded a Virgin train at Manchester and my bike was in the locked goods carriage. The guard told me that there was going to be a staff change before Coventry so to make sure to tell the new guard that I would need the door to the goods carriage unlocking at Coventry so that I could take my bike off.

The replacement guard had not come through the train by the time we left Birmingham so I decided to walk the length of the train to find her/him. What I hadn't noticed until that moment was how packed the train was ... I couldn't even get out of my seat!

I started to get in a panic, with visions of my bike ending up in London.

There was no way to find a staff member on the train, so I resolved to get off the train ASAP at Coventry and find someone on the platform. It turned out that there was chaos on the platform too! The crush of passengers embarking and disembarking prevented me moving along the platform until the train was due to leave. In the end, I managed to find the very grumpy guard just before departure. (I think that he was already stressed out by the crush of passengers and having me in a panic about my bike wasn't helping.)
:eek:

Top Bottom