Kick stand question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SandraP

Hello all!
I've just acquired a second hand raleigh compact bike but it seems to be missing the rubber tip from the end of the kick stand. Does anyone know what the correct name for this is, and whether it's possible to buy one (if so where?).

Thanks
Sandra

tyred

Legendary Member
I would try the local hardware shop. They would have these type of things for walking sticks, chair legs, etc and they come in a variety of sizes. A bike shop will just try to sell you a new kicjstand.

mangid

Guru
Hello all!
I've just acquired a second hand raleigh compact bike but it seems to be missing the rubber tip from the end of the kick stand. Does anyone know what the correct name for this is, and whether it's possible to buy one (if so where?).

Thanks
Sandra

Sugru is great for this kind of application,

I would try the local hardware shop. They would have these type of things for walking sticks, chair legs, etc and they come in a variety of sizes. A bike shop will just try to sell you a new kicjstand.
Because they don't carry spares for kickstands .. because no one ever asks for them!

OP
OP
SandraP

SandraP

Quick update for anyone interested. They are called ferrules, and you can buy them in all sizes. The size I need is 10mm diameter but not exactly circular so I've decided to try sugru to get a custom fit. I hadn't heard of sugru before so thanks Mangid for the heads up - looks like a miracle product! I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Quick update for anyone interested. They are called ferrules, and you can buy them in all sizes. The size I need is 10mm diameter but not exactly circular so I've decided to try sugru to get a custom fit. I hadn't heard of sugru before so thanks Mangid for the heads up - looks like a miracle product! I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Lots of things are called ferrules - the tips of umbrellas and walking sticks mainly.

Globalti

Legendary Member
...and bicycle control cables.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Ferrules a jolly good fella, ferrules a jolly good fella.........come on, all together now
guitar-play.gif

OP
OP
SandraP

SandraP

Buy yourself a bottle of wine, one with a cork, and then whilst knocking back the wine hollow out the cork and whack it on the end of the kickstand.

Champagne corks may also work if that's your tipple!
I tried this, but the cork was too brittle and broke up under the weight of the bike. Good idea though.

Top Bottom