Kickr to Tacx Neo. Yes or no?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Velochris

Über Member
I have a v2 Kickr. It does everything I need and has never had any faults etc. I am now approaching owning it for 2 years so the warranty will be coming to and end.

I use it a lot and it has been good value, especially at the discounted price I paid for it.

However they are expensive pieces if kit to replace if something went wrong.

With that in mind I have been offered a good price for mine which is pristine, boxed etc.

The Tacx Neo is heavily discounted at thr moment (suspect a new model may be on the way). With further discounts I have access to I could sell the Kickr and only have to put an additonal £80 towards a new Neo.

I would then have piece if mind in have another 2 years of warranty for my turbo.

I believe the performance differnce between the two is minimal and I would be happy with either.

Would you make the change or stick with what you have?

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Hold off from buying a 2018 Kickr or core. There a few design niggles and need sorting first

OP
OP
Velochris

Velochris

Über Member
No
Hold off from buying a 2018 Kickr or core. There a few design niggles and need sorting first
No plan to buy a 2018 Kickr. They are too expensive and I cannot get any discount on them.

The option is keep what in have or change to Neo.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Feels like a no brainier to go for the neo for me. Unless the kickr climb is in your thoughts why not. Something new with a warranty which is equal if not better than what you have. Plus it’s different and change is always (normally) good :smile:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I have a v2 Kickr. It does everything I need and has never had any faults etc. I am now approaching owning it for 2 years so the warranty will be coming to and end.

I use it a lot and it has been good value, especially at the discounted price I paid for it.

However they are expensive pieces if kit to replace if something went wrong.

With that in mind I have been offered a good price for mine which is pristine, boxed etc.

The Tacx Neo is heavily discounted at thr moment (suspect a new model may be on the way). With further discounts I have access to I could sell the Kickr and only have to put an additonal £80 towards a new Neo.

I would then have piece if mind in have another 2 years of warranty for my turbo.

I believe the performance differnce between the two is minimal and I would be happy with either.

Would you make the change or stick with what you have?
In your shoes, I'd switch. Newer trainer, 2 years warranty. What's not to like :okay:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Neo all day every day

OP
OP
Velochris

Velochris

Über Member
Go for the NEO.
Currently the best, most accurate trainer you can buy. £80 and a new 2 year warranty? I would jump:smile:
On paper it makes sense.

What puts me off is an unfounded view of the Neo reliability. I see some potential issues with small metal filings in the drum and fans not working. I would be covered by the warranty but don't want that hassle.

That said I know Kickers have problems, particularly new ones. Mine is fine and I would be frustrated to swap it for a Tacx which then had problems.

Interested in opinions if long term Neo owners etc.

Also interested in reviews which say at high inclines with low cadence they can lose their feel. I often ride 17%, 70rpm at 300 (Zoncolan) on the Kickr and it feels good and never slips.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
For the Neo - if you do get the noise then there seems to be a couple of solutions;

1. Just ride through it and after a few miles the noise should go away.
2. Tell Tacx and they send you an extraction tool, it seems to be an easy fix
3. Send it back and get a new one.

I have not seen anybody have long term issues with them. Neo's are used by a guy testing chains, his models that have covered hundreds of thousands of miles with very little maintenance. They require no calibration and have few moving parts beyond the freehub.

The facebook group explains a lot, although you see lots of questions about the easily fixed noise problem, you find very few people with long term complaints.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
For the Neo - if you do get the noise then there seems to be a couple of solutions;

1. Just ride through it and after a few miles the noise should go away.
2. Tell Tacx and they send you an extraction tool, it seems to be an easy fix
3. Send it back and get a new one.

I have not seen anybody have long term issues with them. Neo's are used by a guy testing chains, his models that have covered hundreds of thousands of miles with very little maintenance. They require no calibration and have few moving parts beyond the freehub.

The facebook group explains a lot, although you see lots of questions about the easily fixed noise problem, you find very few people with long term complaints.
And the problems you do find on t'internet are generally concentrated so can seem a bigger issue. Garmin get it too but nobody ever considers how many units are sold, how many are fine and how many aren't complaining on the net.

OP
OP
Velochris

Velochris

Über Member
And the problems you do find on t'internet are generally concentrated so can seem a bigger issue. Garmin get it too but nobody ever considers how many units are sold, how many are fine and how many aren't complaining on the net.

I'm always aware people are more prepared to complain as oppose to praise.

That said I've had two Garmins which, after a lot of hassle, went back as not fit for purpose.

Last edited:
Top Bottom