Kickstand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
jamesxyz said:
Can anyone recommend a good strudy kickstand for a touring bike - i.e. one that will keep it upright when fully loaded?

Nope!

I'd never risk a fully loaded tourer on a kickstand personally. Walls, fences gateposts, laying gently down etc is my preferred method.

Tenorman

jamesxyz said:
Can anyone recommend a good strudy kickstand for a touring bike - i.e. one that will keep it upright when fully loaded?

I would never guarantee it keeping the bike upright all the time, but on my hybrid/tourer I use a bipod stand. As long as it's on levellish ground it's more stable than a single kickstand. I still lean it against something sturdy if it's really laden though.

Fandango

I have tried cheap stands and a motorbike type stand, which worked but I didn't like it much as the front swung about a bit. I finally settled on http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=18786 which I tried out from Dover to Lowestoft last week and it worked well. I weighed my gear and it came to 28KG which is just 2 KG under the max load, but the stand never seemed stressed - hard to tell until it crumples though. You do need to be careful where you use the stand - it needs level ground really, but so far so good.

Anthony

Fandango said:
I have tried cheap stands and a motorbike type stand, which worked but I didn't like it much as the front swung about a bit. I finally settled on http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=18786 which I tried out from Dover to Lowestoft last week and it worked well. I weighed my gear and it came to 28KG which is just 2 KG under the max load, but the stand never seemed stressed - hard to tell until it crumples though. You do need to be careful where you use the stand - it needs level ground really, but so far so good.

I recently bought the exact same stand as you. I've only used it with a small amount of weight in my panniers so far, but it has worked very well.

sleekitcollie

I've got one that fits on the back of the bike used it loaded and it's ok. But u need to watch as it can topple over . U can also get one that fits the front fork as well and if u use both together it's very stable . Mark Beaumont used this on both his round the world and Americas expeditions and they seemed to work great . Not sure where u get the front one but rear I got from edinburgh bike co think it was 9.99

PrettyboyTim

I use the Pletscher twin-leg prop stand ( see http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-...Height-Over-290-mm--27-Inch-and-700c-1512.htm ) I prefer it to the Hebie one as the legs don't stick out when it folds up - both legs fold up under the left-hand chainstay.

I've not tried it fully loaded with touring gear, but I did used to use it to hold the bike up while I was putting my Son into his child seat. I would never leave the side of the bike while I was doing that, but he only managed to start the bike toppling a couple of times by wriggling.

My guess is that as long as the ground is fairly level a fully loaded bike wouldn't fall over unless hit by a powerful gust of wind.

It's also very useful for adjusting the gears etc while out on the bike as it lifts one wheel off the ground.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Have a squizz at what's being used on tandems, especially ones where the second rider is a child. These are normally rugged enough to hold the bike in place when there's a kid on it, and (IIRC) actually advise doing exactly that.

If they're prepared to say it'll hold a child that high up, you can bet your (somewhat lower and possibly lighter) luggage is reasonably safe.

PrettyboyTim

It clamps onto the chainstays just behind the bottom bracket; there's a bolt that when tightened pulls the top and bottom half of the clamp together. I'll upload a picture.

PrettyboyTim

Here's a picture of the stand:
propstand.jpg

A word of warning though: when you fit it make sure you smear the thread with anti-seize compound or grease before fitting otherwise after time you may find that the bolt binds to the clamp and becomes immovable. I'd quite like to tighten the one on my bike but I just can't get it to budge at all. It seems I'm not alone with this problem.

I also found you have to occasionally turn the bike upside-down and clear the crud out of the mechanism at the bottom.

Anyway, I'll be getting a new tourer soon (my current bike is just a fairly low-end hybrid) and I'm very tempted to put the same stand on it. I just find it so useful.

Top Bottom