Kids bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

leedsmick

Hi. Has anyone got any recomendations for a new bike for my daughter ?

She will be 10 shortly and is enjoying riding an old 2nd hand MTB and i want to upgrade her as a surprise.

She wont ride on roads, all woods/trails/canal paths etc so MTB or hybrid.

Are the decathlon MTB's as well thought of as the road bikes?

£200 max spend.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
My twins had Islabikes and Hotrocks. Both seemed very well put together. What sized wheels were you thinking of?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I bought a Specialized Hotrock for my daughter which was an excellent bike but possibly out of your price range however we did sell it second hand for £120 about 4 years later when she had outgrown the bike.
It is often worth spending on a decent reputable brand as they do hold their price on resale.

dfthe1

Islabikes in particular are noted for the high resale value. And they're fantastic bikes.

OP
OP
leedsmick

leedsmick

Thanks all. Gives me something to work with. Im not looking to spend too much yet as she might well decide she hates bikes again.

hatler

Guru
We ran a Ridgeback MX 24 (a freebie off Freecycle) and this did well for two kids for as long as they fitted it. There are plenty on eBay, though not necessarily close to you, but it does at least give you an idea of how much they go for second hand. Springs though are maybe overkill (and therefore unnecessary weight) for where you will be riding, in which case an Islabike would be perfect.
An alternative to the Ridgeback is a Scott Voltage 24. Not as many of those on eBay but they do see to lose a bit more value, so you could possibly pick up a smarter looking second hand bike for the same money as a second hand Specialized.

OP
OP
leedsmick

leedsmick

Thanks again everyone. I do want her to sit on the chosen one first to get a feel fof it and check she likes it which will rule ebay out.

Hicky

Guru
My lads have had specialized/cube and ridgeback bikes, all good(most second hand). They're now on Btwin bikes, they're decent but many of the parts aren't the best(mainly the wheels).....they treat them like kids do however they're well used so I'm unconcerned.

Top Bottom