Kids Cycling Holidays

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

graudigraudi

Not really sure where to post this and am new as a poster here so please bear with me!!
I posted this on another cycling forum a couple of days ago but got little response so perhaps you cyclechat people may have more ideas ...
===
Anybody been on a cycling holiday to Holland? Am thinking of trying a biking holiday and Holland has been suggested, probably because it's flat!

I have kids aged 8 and 6 who are used to cycling but probably 20 miles / days is the limit!!

Anyone tried to do this with kids this age?

Thanks .....

Arch

Married to Night Train
Welcome! I can't help really, don't have kids, never been to Holland, but I'm sure there will be dozens of people who can help.

There's a thread in Touring from a chap planning a trip in France with kids, one of them is 7, might be worth a look.

From what I do know, The Netherlands is great for cycling, as long as you don't end up riding all day into a headwind. And it's probably wise to keep the distances down, and take your time - gives you lots of time to look at things along the way, have plenty of cafe stops etc. If you do find you've arrived at your destination early and with energy to spare, you can always explore the area on your bikes. And it's probably good to have something along to do on the way - I-spy book type things, so that they can be distracted from getting tired. And depending on the length of your planned trip, build in a rest day where you stay put, and can have a day off doing something else. (All this is good sense even for adults!)

Touring by bike is great - there's something exciting in these days of cars and planes, about travelling somewhere away for a night or two under your own steam.

OP
OP
G

graudigraudi

Thanks arch - we'd certainly like to make this a bit of an adventure for the kids and Holland looks good at the minute for that. Am heading to touring now to check out the France thread ...

bottombracket

Hi,
Holland could be perfect for what you want! I spent a bit of time there a few years ago and have ridden across it several times. Towns and cities are so close together compared to the UK. 20 miles will take you a new town every day. Everyone under the age of 70 speaks English and everyone seems to ride a bike!
With kids, I think it's better to ride well within their mileage limits - maybe ride in the morning, sightsee in the afternoon. If you p#ss them off by doing too much, life will be hell and they'll never get on a bike again! Carry a bag of energy bars/bananas etc, keep their energy levels topped-up and you'll have a fantastic time!!

You might find this useful...
http://www.bottombracket.co.uk/cycling-nutrition.html

graudigraudi said:
Doesn't have to be Holland - that site looks really good - thanks.

One day I shall persuade the Crackle family to go. I did a very similar thing with a different company in Brittany about 20 years ago. Their knowledge of routes and planning made it a very carefree tour. We met up with a family, with the same tour company, doing a different route, who had about five children with them. They did all their cycling in the morning and spent the afternoon on the beach.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
graudigraudi said:
Very tempted I am with the Breton bikes tour. Have you been on one of their tours MacB?

No, not toured at all yet, there was a flurry of general interest at home on the idea of a family bike holiday. My wife had just begun cycling with myself and the boys and had a very minor off, literally fell over as dismounting. Unfortunately this resulted in a leg broken in 3 places and a broken ankle, both requiring surgery to insert plates and pins. This was last Easter and talk of new bikes and a tandem:ohmy: have gradually tailed off:biggrin:

What caught my interest with that site were the fixed base location family camping trips. But this years hols are already booked up so next year would be the earliest it could be feasible.

OP
OP
G

graudigraudi

Blimey MacB, that's awful. It's really strange how what can seem to be a small incident results in such damage. Hope you can persuade her back on the bike eventually, although I guess it'll take a while just getting strength back in her leg.

OP
OP
G

graudigraudi

Dave - the holiday is for the whole family. Strangely it was suggested by my wife who doesn't even cycle that much. The best solution I think would be a single centre which we head out from each day, rather like the Breton bikes site which MacB pointed us at.

Top Bottom