Kids eh!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
My son's first independent choice of bike was for a BMX. This was followed by one of those awful Y framed full sus mountain bikes then another BMX. At fifteen I took him on a tour of bike shops where he was teetering on the edge between another BMX and a MTB and he plumped for a MTB.

The problem is peer pressure. All of his mates had BMX bikes followed by the Y framed monstrosities and as the Y framed things fell apart the BMXs resurfaced with their low maintainance demands.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I had 3 proper bikes my parents got me. 1st was a Moulton mini
moulton_mini_NMS.jpg

that was bought so I could take my Cycling Proficiency Test in mid 60's. It lasted me about 5 years and was actually a decent bike though not the best thing for a 10 year old to fit in with fellow pupils in pit village. (Lots of mates had motorbikes they went across quarry on). 2nd was from my Grandfather when he gave up cycling when I was 16. For a few years he not been able to get his leg over a cross bar so had a ladies Raliegh something like this but blue;).
4329490419_e38a53f009.jpg

Also something my dad thought was OK as it had been free (and he didn't have to ride). I nearly gave up cycling until they bought me a Puch Prima 12 for my 18th for taking to college.
If only I had that Moulton it would now be quite cool:becool:.
I know you are nothing like my dad with his sense of what was a good bike for his son but he thought he was doing the right thing at the time with what he could afford.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
BMXs are great. He might even graduate to dirt jumping and start building cool stuff in the woods. Down here loads of lads start off with a BMX on a simple half-pipe on the seafront and work their way up to cool stuff like this, which they build and maintain themselves. I'm in awe of their skills and dedication. And needless to say, there is always a bunch of miserable old killjoys complaining about them - I put it down to jealousy... :biggrin:

tyred

Legendary Member
I wanted a BMX as it was fashionable at the time. My father gave me my aunt's old Raleigh Twenty...

Despite my best attempts to break it, it survived and I still have it and sometimes take it with me in the car (folding model). And my friends still laugh at it so nothing really changes.

tyred

Legendary Member
threebikesmcginty said:
You've got a folding car? :biggrin:

I like my mod cons:thumbsup:

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
theclaud said:
work their way up to cool stuff like this, which they build and maintain themselves
I think that's exactly what my son has in mind, glad to see the helmets are not considered un-cool.

The bike arrived today and the reflectors and bell had to be removed, while the seat had to be set at a funny position. I drew the line though at removing the brakes.

Kids eh!

Ranger

theclaud said:
BMXs are great. He might even graduate to dirt jumping and start building cool stuff in the woods. Down here loads of lads start off with a BMX on a simple half-pipe on the seafront and work their way up to cool stuff like this, which they build and maintain themselves. I'm in awe of their skills and dedication. And needless to say, there is always a bunch of miserable old killjoys complaining about them - I put it down to jealousy... :wacko:

I had a group of BMXers that did something similar on one of the woodlands I looked after and it was spectacular.

There was a LOT of pressure on me to get rid of them but to be honest they kept the place spotless, didn't do that much damage (they stayed in the same place) and we gradually came to an understanding on what I would allow and what I wouldn't. All in all good lads and lass who kept an eye on the whole site for me!

Top Bottom