Kids Road Racing Training, Tameside Circuit Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well,

All I can say is go down there if you fancy your kids having a go at riding a bike, and learning skills.

Went to Mossley CRT's session on a Wednesday from 6 pm.

Turned up and parked near front gate, met another family and no one was about. Saw a roadie go past so drove round back of athletics and they were there. Sent son back on his bike to tell other family.

Anyway, typical club running, charged a pound for my son.. Too cheap. About 10 young lads on road bikes, some range in kit, one lad had Dura Ace C35 wheels... My son was the only one on an MTB...

Fortunately a few others arrived, and two kids moving from another go ride club due to training times, really difficult if you work.

Anyway, it's a great facility, basic, but the road surface is awesome. The coaches were great with the kids, and we had a few others arrive later. Al loved it and will be back next week.

It runs every Wednesday, all year extreme weather dependant, as it's floodlit. Starts at 6pm for the youngsters from 6 to 12.

I'm taking my bike next week. Oh and son wants a road bike, he will get slicks for his bike.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I think I will have to give this a go next week then your lad won't be the only lad on an MTB:blush:. It's within riding distance for us so no prob to get there after tea. We have used the track a few times for bikeability and a holiday day camp they do and kids have had fun each time.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

We had a couple of families turn up, one came from a Manchester one as the training times were silly for a working family. They had a trek mtb and an islabike. Had one new little girl of 6 who was amazing. Then another family turned up, initially thought it might be you, but the guy was a shortie like me.

We had 4 going round the track, two lads of 10/11 on good MTBs and two younger girls. TBH the new kids worked hardest. The older lot did bugger all later.

Will try and take my daughter next week, and poss missus.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Going to be popular.
I think you're right there. It's a good, fun format and valuable skills being taught too (bike control, teamwork, listening to instructions).

I got a bit of a shock when I got home and reported the nights events back to Mrs Skol. When I mentioned we were encouraged to join the Mossley cycle club that organises the session and explained that they are possibly more family biased than a traditional cycle club she said "that's great, maybe I'll be able to get out with them and the boys when you are working weekends" :eek:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It this track fenced off or open access?

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Fenced off - it's only open for club sessions, although there is a race league on Tuesdays. Weds tends to be Mossley's sessions, and Thursday evenings are chaingang sessions organised by Wills Wheels.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Just wondered as it essentially looks like a pathway in a park, nothing fancy (not sure what I was expecting tbh), wondered how they keep the kids off.

Are there any open sessions where you can ride? Would be nice to give it a whirl, work on my notable shoot cornering skills :tongue:

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

It's a 1km circuit, that does indeed look like a path - it's fenced all round so no access unless you have the key. Worth checking out Will Wheels site about the Thursday chain gangs on it.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Will's Wheel's is an odd prospect, they are a "club" (as well as bike shop, which I knew about before now) but they don't advertise how to join from what I can see :S

Anyway sounds cool, might contact them, once I regain a bit more fitness would be nice to get on a chaingang for training. I assume will also go far with developing confidence at riding in a group at speed (I am fine in a group, but never ridden in a group at race speeds :tongue:). Was thinking about re-joining (joined once before, but other than 1 or 2 intro rides, didn't really take part) the Manchester Wheelers and jumping on their chaingang's.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Kids track night tonight. I am working but trying to convince Mrs Skol that if we all ride to the track together then I can shoot off to work and she can ride back home with the kids after the session. She's not keen as the youngest son has to be kept under control when near the roads.

Are you going Fossy?

Top Bottom