Killed by racing motorist in East London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
White VW golf failed to stop, CCTV must be everywhere on the Commercial Road. Hope they get the bastards.
This poor chap could have been any of us that cycle in London.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Police and journalists have to stop using this dehumanising language: the car wasn't racing - its driver was; the car didn't fail to stop, its driver failed to stop.

A cyclist has died from his injuries after he was hit by a car that may have been racing another vehicle and failed to stop.
Scotland Yard said: "The vehicle that collided with the victim is believed to have been racing with another car when it collided with the victim. The car did not stop at the scene."

Unless it was a pair of farking Google cars, there are a couple of drivers to be held to account.

GC

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Police and journalists have to stop using this dehumanising language: the car wasn't racing - its driver was; the car didn't fail to stop, its driver failed to stop.

A cyclist has died from his injuries after he was hit by a car that may have been racing another vehicle and failed to stop.
Scotland Yard said: "The vehicle that collided with the victim is believed to have been racing with another car when it collided with the victim. The car did not stop at the scene."

Unless it was a pair of farking Google cars, there are a couple of drivers to be held to account.

GC

I agree, I hate it.
Would they say "A man was in a critical condition after his chest was involved in a collision with a knife"?
No, they would not.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
BBC are reporting that the car has been found, so that's a good thing, now to identify who was driving it.
I hope it isnt stolen.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

GC

The main reason for writing the car failed to stop is to keep the sentence short.

"A cyclist died after being hit by a vehicle whose driver failed to stop."

"A cyclist died after being hit by a vehicle which failed to stop."

Not much in it, but in this case the journalist is trying to get in the 'may have been racing' clause, so every word counts.

On that point, the quoted text needlessly uses the word 'has'.

"A cyclist died" means the same as "A cyclist has died".

Someone might be able to tell me what obscure tense the second phrase is in, past pluperfect or somesuch I imagine.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I don't have an old link but the passive form has been eradicated, people must have complained.

That wording is much better on the BBC.
The Telegraph one is still crap, and:

How about instead: "The driver is believed to have been racing with another driver when their car collided with the victim. The driver did not stop at the scene"

The main reason for writing the car failed to stop is to keep the sentence short.

"A cyclist died after being hit by a vehicle whose driver failed to stop."

"A cyclist died after being hit by a vehicle which failed to stop."

Not much in it, but in this case the journalist is trying to get in the 'may have been racing' clause, so every word counts.

On that point, the quoted text needlessly uses the word 'has'.

"A cyclist died" means the same as "A cyclist has died".

Someone might be able to tell me what obscure tense the second phrase is in, past pluperfect or somesuch I imagine.

Agree.

Yes there is some very dodgy reporting of folk being killed by drivers.

But people do realise that cars are driven by people.

And I assume the police are looking for a person.

I would reserve one's ire for other aspects.

RIP and condolences.

Repeating the wish that the car wasn't stolen.

(by a person, if someone finds this unclear/dodgy phrasing)

Saluki

World class procrastinator
RIP Cyclist.

Such a terrible waste of life. I had 2 friends who were killed by 2 young men racing each other in their Mini Coopers, driving alongside each other. All the newspaper could focus on was the fact the my friends were riding a "powerful Moto Guzzi motorbike" The press are often a collective of numpties.

Top Bottom