Killer cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62444889
The government are now saying killer cyclists should be jailed for longer, don’t they need to sort out carp drivers first, I wonder what the numbers are in comparison between drivers that kill, and cyclists that hit and kill someone, seems to be Grant Chapps spouting off in the Daily Fail where this has come from

The constant feeling of animosity against cyclists in this country is really starting to get to me, to the extent that I'm really not enjoying it nearly so much any more. :sad:

I don;t necessarily disagree with the idea but it certainly should not just be for cyclists

probably anyone using the road, including the pavement, in a reckless manner

clearly one person walking into another person is unlikely to kill them in a reckless and dangerous manner like a cyclist riding at speed
but I have seen runners moving at speed and assuming everyone will see them and get out of their way
and - of course - electric scooters can go at all sorts of speeds as they are not regulated as they are illegal anyway - and so should come under the same category
I suppose what I am saying is that it should include anyone using the roads dangerously and recklessly - and putting it that way would automatically include any 'personal transport; systems that crop up in the future and become popular

but spending parliamentary time on something that happens so rarely when other things happen on roads fat more often are ignored 0 is not productive

but it does look good to your average reader of the rag in question

toffee

Guru
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62444889
The government are now saying killer cyclists should be jailed for longer, don’t they need to sort out carp drivers first, I wonder what the numbers are in comparison between drivers that kill, and cyclists that hit and kill someone, seems to be Grant Chapps spouting off in the Daily Fail where this has come from

Perhaps he was trying to take the heat off our next prime minister and her latest gaff by getting everyone to talk about something else

Mike_P

Guru
It's the old levelling up edit, potentially jailing one group (cyclists currently 2 years max) for as long as another group (14 years max). As to motorists general ignorance of regulations this morning I had a 4wD pass on the opposite direction at TTLs which were definitely on red when I subsequently looked back and a van going straight on at a left turn only for vehicles.

I'm guessing but there seem to have been more than 40 headlines in the Daily Fail about 'killer cyclists' over the last year

$deity knows how many if you include the Express

D

Deleted member 26715

Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 10.47.43.png

Numbers don't stack up really do they

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can’t imagine what has brought this about. Maybe because there have been some high profile cases and the guy campaigning for a stiffer sentences whose wife was killed by a cyclist on a fixie without brakes. Wasn’t she a phone zombie? Not excusing the cyclist.
Car drivers who kill cyclist don’t seem to get much more than two years either. This is the area where sentencing needs to be increased.

Top Bottom