Killer cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Why isn't this on the NACA forum?

P. S. I didn't vote for the farkers

Alex321

Veteran
I'm sure he did, he has quite naturally, a biased perspective. I can also hear the cheers from the Daily Fail proletariat but it doesn't make a real case for a change in the sentencing legislation.

What does make a case for it is the simple fact that for causing death by dangerous driving, maximum sentence 14 years, by careless driving, 5 years. By cycling, no matter how reckless, maximum 2 years.

None of those maximums are frequently imposed, but if half the maximum is imposed, you still get far more severe sentences for killing somebody with a car than for doing so with a bike. The fact that it is so much less frequent is pretty irrelevant.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The constant feeling of animosity against cyclists in this country is really starting to get to me, to the extent that I'm really not enjoying it nearly so much any more. :sad:

This animosity is recipricated by the cycling community. It certainly is not one way.

It just goes round and round in circles. Pointlessly. Until someone steps out of the circle nothing will be solved.

We dont have this animosity in Denmark. Households have more bikes than cars. Children cycle to school. When an estate is built, the first thing laid down are footpaths and cycle paths. We share the paths with pedestrians, mopeds, electric scooter etc and we get along.

I think a big part of the reason has nothing to do with bikes, cars and infrastructure. Its because Brits are wired to be confrontational. The Danes are totally the opposite. But they get what they want by reasoning. I can clearly see the difference between myself and the Danes. But after 20 years of being here. I have assimilated....A bit.

As dross as the article is. I dont put cars into the discussion. If there is a way to reduce the number of deaths by cyclists. Then it should be looked at and addressed. Deaths by drivers is another topic which is being addressed constantly.

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
I saw the Guardian headline

Cyclists in UK who kill pedestrians could be prosecuted same as motorists​

So I assumed that to mean they'll get sweet FA except a few points on their licence. Oh wait, cyclists don't have a licence :scratch:

Edit: Seriously tho', as others above have commented, if someone kills someone by acting dangerously, whether that be a scooter, bike, car, van, lorry or whatever, shouldn't they all be treated in the same way?

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I saw the Guardian headline

Cyclists in UK who kill pedestrians could be prosecuted same as motorists​

So I assumed that to mean they'll get sweet FA except a few points on their licence. Oh wait, cyclists don't have a licence :scratch:

Edit: Seriously tho', as others above have commented, if someone kills someone by acting dangerously, whether that be a scooter, bike, car, van, lorry or whatever, shouldn't they face the same sentence?

Yes another headline written by an idiot. My response is " Yes they should be prosecuted the same as motorists. Thats why they are". The process is exactly the same.

As for sentencing. The author needs to do some research. Sentencing on either count is never consistant. Which is why everyone gets annoyed. That frustration should be aimed at the judicial system and not each other.

A local guy from close to where I am from in the UK was killed whilexhe was cycling last year. The driver was an off duty ambulance driver who has shown no remorse. He was drunk when the accident happened.

In the current situation it was a good result, when you see other sentences. A life cannot only be worth 5 years when taken in these circumstances. The sentence is neither justice for the family or a deterrent to the driver.

Sentences for death by dangerous driving or cycling should be looked at the same as a starting point.

PK99

Legendary Member
Although the sentiment is there, it doesn't help if the message doesn't go out,

Coming back from town in the car there's a cyclist coming the opposite way, it's uphill & for my mind he was too close to the kerb to start with, but he was overtaken by a car (estimated 50mph) just as I went past him, there was less than 2ft between me & the other car & less than 2ft between the other car & the cyclist.

Without wishing to be overly semantic - I see a difference between "passing" and "overtaking".

Cycling too close to the kerb makes it possible for cars to pass without deviating from their straight line

My normal road positioning (strong secondary) is such that any car wishing to overtake has to carry out an overtaking manoeuver.

Last edited:

PK99

Legendary Member
Yes another headline written by an idiot. My response is " Yes they should be prosecuted the same as motorists. Thats why they are". The process is exactly the same.

No, they aren't - the chargeable offenses are different, that is the whole point!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
No, they aren't - the chargeable offenses are different, that is the whole point!

But the process is the same. The offences will always read different. But I agree the basic sentence needs to be standard and greater than it is now.

OP
OP
D

DRM

Guru
This animosity is recipricated by the cycling community. It certainly is not one way.

It just goes round and round in circles. Pointlessly. Until someone steps out of the circle nothing will be solved.

We dont have this animosity in Denmark. Households have more bikes than cars. Children cycle to school. When an estate is built, the first thing laid down are footpaths and cycle paths. We share the paths with pedestrians, mopeds, electric scooter etc and we get along.

I think a big part of the reason has nothing to do with bikes, cars and infrastructure. Its because Brits are wired to be confrontational. The Danes are totally the opposite. But they get what they want by reasoning. I can clearly see the difference between myself and the Danes. But after 20 years of being here. I have assimilated....A bit.

As dross as the article is. I dont put cars into the discussion. If there is a way to reduce the number of deaths by cyclists. Then it should be looked at and addressed. Deaths by drivers is another topic which is being addressed constantly.

I think the problem here isn’t death by cyclists, they are very few and very rare, yet motorists go round killing & maiming with barely a slap on the wrist, I believe it’s around 1850 per year killed, or 5 people per day according to the organisation brake, if you search for the number of people killed by cyclists google doesn’t even bring up a figure, perhaps someone here knows, yet it says in 2020 146 cyclists were killed, 4215 were seriously injured, and 11,938 slightly injured, an horrific toll, yet the cause of these figures get away lightly, the driving standards in the UK are appalling, there are no traffic police any more, just armed response vehicles, no wonder drivers get away with murder, quite literally

D

Deleted member 26715

I think the problem here isn’t death by cyclists, they are very few and very rare, yet motorists go round killing & maiming with barely a slap on the wrist, I believe it’s around 1850 per year killed, or 5 people per day according to the organisation brake, if you search for the number of people killed by cyclists google doesn’t even bring up a figure, perhaps someone here knows, yet it says in 2020 146 cyclists were killed, 4215 were seriously injured, and 11,938 slightly injured, an horrific toll, yet the cause of these figures get away lightly, the driving standards in the UK are appalling, there are no traffic police any more, just armed response vehicles, no wonder drivers get away with murder, quite literally

Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 10.47.43.png

Top Bottom