Killer cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Can’t imagine what has brought this about. Maybe because there have been some high profile cases and the guy campaigning for a stiffer sentences whose wife was killed by a cyclist on a fixie without brakes. Wasn’t she a phone zombie? Not excusing the cyclist.
Car drivers who kill cyclist don’t seem to get much more than two years either. This is the area where sentencing needs to be increased.

Yes, sentencing for drivers is terrible. Look at these three on the link. Only 1 served any jail time and it was only a sentence for 2.5 years. Where is the outrage from the Daily Mail?

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/killer-drivers-with-low-sentences-20353834

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I agree with the legislation, I disagree violently with its reporting.

Matthew Briggs (widower) explained it calmly, coherently and very impressively on R4 this morning, I thought.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I agree with the legislation, I disagree violently with its reporting.

Matthew Briggs (widower) explained it calmly, coherently and very impressively on R4 this morning, I thought.
I'm sure he did, he has quite naturally, a biased perspective. I can also hear the cheers from the Daily Fail proletariat but it doesn't make a real case for a change in the sentencing legislation.

D

Deleted member 26715

I'm not sure that prison is the right place for these people, a total life ban on driving/minimum 10 years, a huge curtailment of liberties, strict curfew, community work, potentially a requirement to help support the bereaved family.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I'm not sure that prison is the right place for these people, a total life ban on driving/minimum 10 years, a huge curtailment of liberties, strict curfew, community work, potentially a requirement to help support the bereaved family.

Yeah right and I'm sure they will stick with it, it seems today we do more for the guilty than the victim, what next “the person I killed should not have been there” :angry:

PK99

Legendary Member
There is nothing wrong with this propsal.
Shapps;

“As we move into an era of sustained mass cycling, a thoroughly good thing, we must bring home to cyclists – too often themselves the victims of careless or reckless motoring – that the obligation to put safety first applies equally to every road user. There can be no exceptions.”

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I'm sure he did, he has quite naturally, a biased perspective. I can also hear the cheers from the Daily Fail proletariat but it doesn't make a real case for a change in the sentencing legislation.

Have a listen on R4 Today. His portrayal was the antithesis of the usual Victim-Crusader, who I also deprecate, as do you.

All uphill

Still rolling along
The constant feeling of animosity against cyclists in this country is really starting to get to me, to the extent that I'm really not enjoying it nearly so much any more. :sad:

I'm sorry it's affecting you that way.

Maybe I'm lucky here in the South-West; so long as I avoid reading the tabloid press and the school run I don't pick up on much animosity, and I do get lots of cheery greetings and smiles.

D

Deleted member 26715

There is nothing wrong with this propsal.
Shapps;

“As we move into an era of sustained mass cycling, a thoroughly good thing, we must bring home to cyclists – too often themselves the victims of careless or reckless motoring – that the obligation to put safety first applies equally to every road user. There can be no exceptions.”

Although the sentiment is there, it doesn't help if the message doesn't go out,

Coming back from town in the car there's a cyclist coming the opposite way, it's uphill & for my mind he was too close to the kerb to start with, but he was overtaken by a car (estimated 50mph) just as I went past him, there was less than 2ft between me & the other car & less than 2ft between the other car & the cyclist.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think this is fair enough.

How many people will actually be sentenced for killing someone while riding a bike? It's a bit of a non-issue really.

Exactly, I've no issues with it, so long as drivers face the same. The guy that mashed my spine didn't get a slapped wrist. Killer drivers are the issue. Daily fail this week was all about the 'poor' celeb in his G Wagon, that killed a motorbiker. OK I 'believe' the motorbike was on the wrong side of the road', but the poor car driver.

D

Deleted member 26715

Daily fail this week was all about the 'poor' celeb in his G Wagon, that killed a motorbiker. OK I 'believe' the motorbike was on the wrong side of the road', but the poor car driver.

I have a slightly different view on this, over 40 years ago a friend of mine was killed when he hit a double decker bus at over 100mph (estimated) on his motorbike, he & his girlfriend died instantaneously, I also know the guy who had to go round looking for the pieces in the ditches & the hedgerow for their remains as the Police had nobody with the stomach to do it. I also know he had to refused to allow my friends father to see his son to say Goodbye as there was not enough to make him recognisable. This is a really tragic tale of 2 18 year olds, but it is only one side of the story.

I never met the man who was driving the bus, he did nothing wrong, he was just doing his job when out of the blue this motorcycle came around the bend on the wrong side of the road & slammed into the front of the bus, he didn't even have time to make any form of avoidance movement not that there was anywhere to go anyway. But I do know that Saturday afternoon was the last day he ever worked, it was the last time he ever drove, was very reluctant to get into any vehicle & would have to be coerced into doing so. He never slept properly again as he relived that moment, he was under medical & psychiatrist help for the rest of his relatively short life.

I know nothing of the story of the 'celeb' or what did or didn't happen, but as always there are 2 sides to each story

Top Bottom