Kindle or actual books

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beeankey

I am an avid reader and for many years resisted the lure of a kindle.

A month ago however I downloaded the kindle app for my ipad as it was the only way I could read a novel published by my mates brother. Since then I have downloaded and read about 15 books and I am a total convert. I will be purchasing a proper kindle for my holidays as the battery life on an ipad is pretty poor (kindle is 30 days) and also the weight and fact you can't read in direct sunlight is a hassle.

I NEVER thought I'd convert but must say I don't think I will ever buy a novel in book form again. Will still buy all my non fiction stuff like biographies, cycling books, design books etc in book for but not novels as no need.

Anyone else converted or still dead against converting?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I wait until they make the film.

Monsieur

I've got the kindle paperwhite and have read some on there - I don't mind the kindle but I still yearn for the physical book in my hand

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Horses for courses.
I prefer an actual book, but the Kindle is undoubtedly better for holidays - I used to take a load of books away, now I just take the Kindle. Or use the Kindle app on my phone if I'm travelling really light...

Another convert here, but like others I still prefer actual books. I have a Nook and it's just so much more convenient that carrying around a bunch of books. Plus getting new books is so much quicker and easier.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I will get a Kindle when it has a scanner that can scan my existing library of books and upload the electronic version FOC as I have already bought the hard copy. Until then I will continue to buy hardcopies of books as I then have it physically to use, and pass on, as I want.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I do wonder, though, if e-readers have had their day.
I paid over £100 for a 3G kindle a few years ago. I paid about £35 for an Android tablet the other week.
Now, the kindle has outstanding battery life, a readable screen even in direct sunlight and I can buy books anywhere there's a mobile signal. But the tablet has apps, video, YouTube and all the rest, provided I'm logged into WiFi somewhere.
Time will tell which I use more, I suspect.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I prefer reading (and having) actual books, but for travel and also for when I am giving presentations that involve quoting from several books, an ebook reader is very useful.

Shaun

Founder
Books - only because I read a lot whilst having a soak in the bath and am unsure how waterproof my iPad Mini is ... :smile:

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
I love my kindle and it has opened up a vast library of low budget genres that I would have missed had I stuck purely to physical books. I now only buy Physical copies of my favorite Authors releases.

Though it is time they supplied a Digital DL along with Hardbacks IMO.

sparkyman

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Hardback Books.
I've just about accepted (but do not condone) the existence of paperbacks....... the e-reader is tool of Satan :smile:

Having said that, when I can buy the first edition hardback and get the e-version as well for a couple of quid I'll buy one. As it is I refuse to pay the full whack for digital copy as well.

Primal Scream

Get your rocks off
Try leaving a Kindle on your sunbed whilst you go for a beer/lunch or for a swim ^_^ good chance it will be gone when you return. That said I prefer a book but I can read my GalaxNote in bed without a light on which is handy .

Top Bottom