Kindle or Kobo or other?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
Had a Kindle for years, but suspect I'm about to fall out with Amazon over a warranty return dispute, and if I do I'll cancel my Amazon Prime account and dump my Kindle (which needs replacing anyway, damaged screen).

So, what experience have others had with Kindle equivalents? I reckon I can live without the Amazon shopping experience, we rarely watch Prime TV offerings, so it's only the Kindle that may be an issue.

Kobo any good? Decent selection of books? Use it it download from public library? Or is there something better out there?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I have a Kobo. It is the only ereader I have owned/used, so, not easy to compare. I find the reading experience ok. Battery life excellent. But, downloading books is not straight forward, in my experience. I am a 76 year old, so, it may be me, but, to me, I think it should be as simple as buying something on Amazon/eBay, and, it is not.

I haven’t done so yet, but, tempted to try a Kindle.

Had a Kindle for years, but suspect I'm about to fall out with Amazon over a warranty return dispute, and if I do I'll cancel my Amazon Prime account and dump my Kindle (which needs replacing anyway, damaged screen).

So, what experience have others had with Kindle equivalents? I reckon I can live without the Amazon shopping experience, we rarely watch Prime TV offerings, so it's only the Kindle that may be an issue.

Kobo any good? Decent selection of books? Use it it download from public library? Or is there something better out there?

I used to have a Kindle and loved it. Recently got a Kobo* and not as in love.
* I bought the cheapest one and it's possible that mine does not have the functionality of others.

However, as always it depends on how you use it.

Getting books on to the Kobo is a PITA compared to the Kindle. These are books I already have, as opposed to buying more.
Kobo uses an app, separate to the device. On the Kindle I could buy direct from the device, I don't think I can on the Kobo.
On the Kindle I could make my own "books" and send them easily to it. For touring, this was a great asset as I could have all my notes on it and have backup copies of important documents.

I could add notes and comments to books on the Kindle. I don't think I can do that on the Kobo.

Access to free books - the ones out of copyright - is extremely limited on Kobo.
There were no samples to read when I investigated the Kobo store.
You should be able to to set up a Kobo account without a device and investigate this for yourself.

My old Kindle used to utilise certain wifi to allow me to be online (ie buy books) even if I wasn't connected myself. A replacement one (bought in the US) did not have this. It was a great advantage to always be able to get a book.

I'm not sure about magazine or newspaper subscriptions if that is your thing.

Living in NL, I weaved around Amazon rules to use the US bookstore and had no problems for years. Recently that has changed so a lot of people have lost their libraries. I just lost my Kindle at about this time. However, I seem to have access to all the books on the Kindle App on my phone - I just don't like reading on my phone.

Currently in Spain I think I'd be tied to the Amazon Spanish store which would be limiting.

For you, I'd imagine being able to swap your kindle books for Kobo ones would be important.

bobzmyunkle

I've got a kobo Clara. Bought because it was substantially cheaper than paperwhite at the time and seemed to be similar.
It works fine with the library - can get books via kobo or via Libby app on phone/pc. With the app they turn up on the kobo when synced.
Less books in kobo store than available for kindle. Kindle format is different to kobo so you might find you can no longer access kindle books you own. Theoretically you can convert them but I don't know how easy or if you have to pay for the app to do that.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I have a Kobo Glo. As a reading experience it's pleasant with a good contrast and easily changeable font sizes. The battery lasts for months. I have bought books using the device with home wifi. However, with a good local library I tend to use that as I like the feel of a physical book. For holidays I think it is a useful gadget as you could upload several books to take with you, to save weight. I have no experience of Kindle as I am averse to Amazon's near monopoly of so many things though I understand that their system might be easier to use than Kobo's. I tend to favour the underdog, maybe sometimes to my detriment. Nevertheless, I feel quite positive about the Kobo experience.

richardfm

Veteran
I have a Kobo, can't remember which model. I's simple and easy to use. I can buy books on the Kobo website and they magically appear on the Kobo, or I can buy books directly on the Kobo. I can also borrow ebooks from my local library and load them on to it or I can transfer "free" books from my pc to it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't forget you can use the kindle app on your tablet. You'll use more battery and doesn't look like paper book but very usable.
I have a kindle and it's great plus downloading is easy .

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I have a Kobo. I don't use Amazon so a Kindle wasn't an option. I've only bought books a couple of times but they go direct to the device. I borrow from the library. The book has to be downloaded to my PC via Adobe Digital Editions and then copied to the Kobo. I've never found that a problem.

This is my second Kobo, both bought second-hand. I seem to recall that I wore out the control button on the first and had to scrap it. I think the latest is a Kobo Touch. I don't need much functionality from a reader and I have no complaints about it.

rualexander

Legendary Member
I've had a Kobo Mini for over 10 years, great wee thing for travelling.
Not available anymore but still works.
I usually buy books from Kindle store (more choice and generally a bit cheaper than Kobo store) and convert them to Kobo compatible e-pub format via Apprentice Alf and Calibre software on PC.
Easy enough process once you've done it a couple of times.
Also borrow books from library service with Borrowbox and Adobe Digital Editions software.

All uphill

Still rolling along
We both read a lot - I read three or four books a week and have done since childhood.

I bought a Kobo about 5 years ago; it's probably been used to read 3 or 4 books and is now collecting dust.

I found it unintuitive and with a limited range of books available. I spent a few hours trying to get it working with our library service before I went back to the library and abebooks.

When out cycling I take a book and will often swap it in one of the community book phoneboxes.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I only have experience of a kindle which I like for reading in bed as it is easier than a paper book.
It is possible for me to download books to my ipad free from my local library but the selection is a bit biased towards crime type and what could be called “popular “ fiction which is not my preference.

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
Thanks all. To be fair, my Kindles have all been excellent, the whole Amazon/Kindle experience has worked well for me and I’d stick with them provided we don’t have a falling out over the return dispute. I do like the idea of borrowing from the library, not an option from Kobo.

I’ll see how I get on with Amazon tomorrow.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I've had 3 different types, one I can't remember the name of but I think they disappeared anyway, then a Kobo and then 2 Kindles. Kobo is okay but you need to use another site to get the better books in my view (I think I used Guttenberg if they're still on the go). Agree with what other say about being a PITA to load. I do use the Kindle as a tablet as well and have vowed I won't get another, I'll get a normal tablet and get books from wherever I can. I'm sure you can still use the Kindle app on other tablets if need be.

Top Bottom