Kindle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Going on hols soon but weight allowances are shocking so looking at getting a kindle instead of taking a few books. No idea about them as never owned one. They seem to range from £60 to anywhere near £150. Any guidance appreciated as the best value and differences between them.

Or am I best to get a tablet that will link to my Samsung phone, I believe you can download books and magazines to a tablet?

Get the paperwhite if it's just for reading. Battery life and readability far superior to the Fire but the fire is more like a tablet.

OP
OP
Broughtonblue
Thanks for replies so far, I should have added that I only tend to read on hols, so 10 months of year it might be redundant, that's why I'm poss going for a tablet.

But honestly don't know what to do

I initially bought one just to take cycle touring, now I use it all the time.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Two big differences between those two options. First, as has been said, battery life - a tablet (eg Kindle Fire) will let you read for a few hours before you have to recharge it; a basic Kindle - Paperwhite or otherwise - will last your holiday on a charge. Second, a tablet is the better option if you need to read anywhere with poor background light - a basic kindle needs proper ambient light...it's just like a book in that respect. For your needs, I'd go for a basic Kindle - and if it was me I'd get one from ebay: people upgrade on a whim, and old ones can be got for relatively little money.

screenman

Legendary Member
So what is the difference between a 'fire' and a paperlight?

I'm a total numpty with things like this

If I am correct the paperlight is just a book, where as the Fire is more like a mini laptop with interent etc. Having only owned a Fire I could be very wrong.

If I am correct the paperlight is just a book, where as the Fire is more like a mini laptop with interent etc. Having only owned a Fire I could be very wrong.
You are correct. Paperwhite is only for reading. No other apps. Fire like a tablet. Paperwhite battery lasts for weeks and much nicer to read from.

Top Bottom