Kindle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I just use my phone. Sign up for the kindle deal of the day as well. Most of it is chaff but the occasional winner comes up for 99p

midlife

Guru
Just look at the screen of a Kindle reader and you will be amazed at the clarity of the text. Just like reading printed ink on paper.

Shaun

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I broke a kindle and got a 'new' one from a lovely person on cyclechat. Many kindle users who've upgraded have the older versions knocking around somewhere and will flog for a bargain price - just ask! You might get one for £20 plus postage. If you only want to read you don't need the tablet functions of the Kindle Fire.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I have the very first kindle that came out and the very first Kindle Fire HD.

I use the fire daily the watch videos on my 1hr 20mins each way commute and that uses about 1/4 of the battery which I think is pretty good. Therefore I should imagine the more current ones are even better.

My ordinary kindle goes on and on and on and on .....

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was about to post a photo of a cycling book on the Kindle app on my phone when I remembered that I broke the phone at the weekend! :laugh:

My eyesight is not brilliant but I found the phone was fine for casual reading. I just made the Kindle app's font a sensible size and chose a background colour and screen brightness that suited me.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
if you want to do more than read books then the choice is made for you. You will need a tablet.

If you really want it to read books then a kindle is the way to go. Battery life is weeks and it can sit in your bag for the whole holiday and when you need it, it's there. It's also much easier on the eyes and lighter than most tablets which is important if you are going to be holding it for long periods.

There IS a basic web browser on kindles but it's pretty crap.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
[QUOTE 4713407, member: 45"]£50 for a Kindle Fire. No-brainer.[/QUOTE]

It's only a no-brainer if price is the only consideration.

For me, looking at backlit screens for a sustained period is a real strain on the eyes, but I can comfortably read my Kindle for hours on end. But I know others don't have the same difficulty so a Fire would be fine for them.

rualexander

Legendary Member
I would recommend a Kobo rather than a Kindle.
Not tied in to Amazon system but can still buy books from either Kobo store or Kindle store, books from Kindle store can be converted to read on Kobo using free Calibre program on pc with drm removal plug in.
I've been using a Kobo Mini for about 5 years, but the Mini is no longer made, other Kobos are as good if not better than Kindles.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The paperwhite and other traditional Kindles can be read outside in bright sunlight. The fire tablets can't and the charge last weeks.

We have the old Kindle Keyboard

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I read Kindle on my mini iPad which I use for EVERYTHING. Accounts/invoices for my gardening business, CycleChat, mapping, email, music, photos, podcasts. I rarely have to use my old laptop. I bought an Otter Box Cover and it slits into my panniers on tour. I love it.

Top Bottom