Kindle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Oh and kindle fire is restricted to amazons App Store, which is IMO inferior to google play.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
We both use Paperwhites here. Much better than the basic model we used to have.

Lovely Wife has her Paperwhite synced to her iPad (which she takes to work) and her iPhone (for emergency reading) and the whole lot stay magically in tune.

NB: my very well off friend rather parsimoniously bought his wife a basic Kindle as a surprise Xmas present. Three days after using it she said "I wish you had got me the one with the backlight"........

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
NB: my very well off friend rather parsimoniously bought his wife a basic Kindle as a surprise Xmas present. Three days after using it she said "I wish you had got me the one with the backlight"........
Well, you don't often get rich by spending your money freely ;)

Reading lights work very well with e-ink displays - there are some slimline ones which clip to Kindles in cases and are exactly the right width. (One might be called Kandle, or I might have misremembered.)

I've an old Kindle Keyboard from when they had free worldwide 3G. It's just so much better to read outdoors than a tablet and the browser is limited but useable for simple webmails and browsing.

I've put a hidden debian installation on it, although the low screen refresh rate and lack of mouse does limit how much it can do. I guess it won't last forever, so can the paperwhites be subverted like that?

I have the kindle app on a hudle tablet, I just turn the screen brightness down when reading , battery life is quite good and obviously can be used like a minilaptop with usb keyboard built into the case, good condition ones can be had on evilbay for £40 if not less

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Another Paperwhite vote here, I got mine and Mrs 'float from the Amazon Warehouse deals. Both we brand new. I use Calibre and source my books from a wide range of places.

midlife

Guru
originalkindle.jpg

I've got one of the above somewhere :smile:

Shaun

Inertia

View attachment 341453

I've got one of the above somewhere :smile:

Shaun
I know exactly where mine is, still works well.^_^

Those things were built to last.

Inertia

[QUOTE 4713570, member: 259"]I don't find the battery life very good on the paperwhite unless you turn the screen brightness way down. I'm not massively impressed with it compared with an original cheapo Kindle to be honest.[/QUOTE]
Really? that suprises me, I did have an issue with mine when I first got it and it was running out quite quickly, in days. It was a bug with the indexing of books though and now it usually lasts a long time.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I read on a mix of my phone (if the train is too packed to get to my other stuff) using Kindle app, Kobo app and Moon Reader), Nook Simple Touch (no longer made, but an eInk screened book reader, to which I sideload ePubs using Calibre) and Kindle Fire (using the Kindle app).

(I read paper books as well!)

The Nook is the best reading experience, but like other dedicated e-Readers, it doesn't do much else. (I rooted it a while back, and stuck a compact version of Android OS on it - I could check email &c on it, but have to admit that I don't). I usually get at least a month between charges.

My phone is ok, but has a smaller screen, and is very prone to interrupting your reading! Having the screen on clobbers battery life, of course. As it's a Samsung, I get a free book each month (from a selection of four) through the Kindle for Samsung app. Those are generally a bit ropey, but there have been some good ones.

The Kindle Fire is ok for reading on (7hrs or so of battery life), allows you to borrow one book each month from the "Kindle Lending Library" (other Kindles, including the eReaders allow this though) and is an ok small tablet. If you have a prime account, it will play Amazon video & Amazon music (you can download content from both for when you're away from wifi) and the appstore (although limited) does have Eurosport Player, Netflix, Iplayer, ITV Hub, My5 & All4). It won't Chromecast, because Amazon and Google have had a falling out.

If you only want to read, a dedicated eReader is the best bet by far. If you fancy tablet features as well (watching films, internet browing &c) the Fire is an ok small tablet - underpowered compared to pricier options, but there's little else available for £50 that's as capable.

Reactions: mjr

Inertia

[QUOTE 4713582, member: 259"]Yes, I sent the original back because I was so surprised at how quickly the battery ran down compared with my previous one, and they sent a new one. After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing they said that the only solution was to turn the screen brightness down. There seem to be quite a few people with the same complaint on the forums. It's a bummer, as it;s a nice looking reading experience, but as I read a lot, it's not much better than doing it on a tablet. Anyway, I'll keep it and see if a firmware upgrade sorts it out.[/QUOTE]
Well I hope it sorts it for you, I know you have probably searched for fixes and tested this one but out of curiousity have you checked for the index problem I had?

if you search form the home screen for random letters like "hjddf"

It should obviously say no match found, but under that it should list any books not yet indexed, does yours say any books arent indexed?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
[QUOTE 4713454, member: 45"]The Kindle is a decent tablet.[/QUOTE]

It may be a decent tablet but it has shortcomings as an e-reader, as does any device with a backlit screen.

Inertia

[QUOTE 4713603, member: 259"]Thanks I've just looked, but it says 'there are no results', nothing about indexing.[/QUOTE]
Ah well, was worth a try at least

Don't forget the kindle app on your phone / tablet

I use it for all sorts

Backup photo of passport for details, flight documents, insurance documents, travel guides - anything saveable in PDF format

I also use it for all my car details, insurance, MOT etc

Top Bottom