Kindle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
First I'd recommend getting https://calibre-ebook.com/ for putting books onto your kindle, it will convert any file you put into it, into mobi or azw which is amazons own format.

Project Guttenberg is a good source of old books out of copyright, lots of classics including Sherlock Holmes if you like that.
https://www.gutenberg.org/

Last edited:

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
btw, Calibre has a "get books" feature which will get books from guttenberg and other sites for you automatically. Watch the demo video on the calibre main page to get an overview.

Thanks for all the replies. Does anybody subscribe to magazines for their kindle? Can you get most of the ones you see on the shelves in newsagents?

Depends on the Kindle..

Books are black and white to a great extent and therefore fine for any Kindle.

However Magazines tend to be colour and the Kindle is not optimised for this, whereas the Kindle Fire with a couloir screen is better

Most magazines have a free (14 days or so) trial which will allow an informed decision for your system

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Thanks for all the replies. Does anybody subscribe to magazines for their kindle? Can you get most of the ones you see on the shelves in newsagents?
Not really a subscription (I just throw the pdf onto it - clunky but works) but http://www.bicycletraveler.nl/

OK. Kindle paperwhite bought. Having never used one before I'm getting used to it
Any recommendations of free books?
Whatever you fancy from Project Gutenburg. I'm still plodding my way through Thomas Stevens Around the World on a Bicycle.

However Magazines tend to be colour and the Kindle is not optimised for this, whereas the Kindle Fire with a couloir screen is better
Does a corridor screen give you tunnel vision? ;)

Depending on how much you use Amazon, there is Amazon Prime

This has access to a lot of current books free of charge. However they can only be reason a Kindle Device, not on the Kindle App

I found that it was worthwhile as I make a tremendous saving when I look at what I used to spend on books, delivery etc.

I use the kindle app on my phone and tablet. I find that I read on my phone as it's lighter.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Sorry for vei

Sorry for being thick but I tried this, got to the magazine I wanted, but couldn't find a 'download' button ?

You need to subscribe to the magazine first. After you subscribe each edition will automatically appear on your Amazon Cloud.
After you subscribe the magazine will arrive each month and the charge will be taken from your bank account. To cancel you need to go into your Amazon account.

Hope this helps.

I cracked the screen on my Paper White and replaced it with an Oasis. It is incredibly light and without the battery even lighter and smaller

However I hate the battery life warnings

It warns you as the backup battery gets low, not the Kindle itself, so is really rather pointless

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Magazines also tend to be in PDF format, which e-readers tend to struggle with - the screen size never matches the magazine page size.

Top Bottom