Kindle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
As someone who makes magazines for a living, I can vouch for what @marknotgeorge says - digital editions are generally designed for tablets rather than e-readers.

The limitations of the Kindle are both its weakness and its strength: it is extremely good at what it does, it's not very good at anything else.

Can one root the Oasis and disable them?

Wot... put my kindle in a plant pot with a little of John Innes finest compost and some rooting hormone?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Magazines also tend to be in PDF format, which e-readers tend to struggle with - the screen size never matches the magazine page size.
For Some Value Of "struggle with". You have to set the Zoom manually and scroll around more than you do with a book, but it's still nicer to read e-ink than LEDs.

digital editions are generally designed for tablets rather than e-readers.
Digital editions are designed? They rarely look it. Web pages would be an upgrade for many of them. :cursing:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Digital editions are designed? They rarely look it. Web pages would be an upgrade for many of them. :cursing:

Well, no - they're usually pdfs of the print edition, which is why they're unsuitable for viewing on an e-reader. When I said designed in my earlier post I meant it in the sense of intended or expected.

Magazine pages are sent to the printer as high-res pdfs and downsampling them for a flat digital edition is trivial. Turning them into web pages or a well formatted ePub document would be a lot of extra work.

Yes, you can view pdfs on an e-reader but it's distinctly sub-optimal.

Reactions: mjr

Levo-Lon

Guru
Just checking I can put a pic on..with my new Fire..
1433672565495.jpg

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have a samsung galaxy tab, a 10 inch kindle HD fire, and a paperwhite. I'm not taking any chances. :laugh:. I must admit, i dont have any problems with the paperwhite. It holds the charge for weeks. I love all 3 of them and use all 3 devices for reading. I wouldnt go back to a PC ever again.

Top Bottom