Kindle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
What would you need 3G for unless you wanted to download newspapers and stuff or use the (experimental) browser?

Keith Oates

Janner
I've finally made up my mind and have gone for the 3G + WiFi model, I should have it today or tomorrow so will tell you how the 3G works. I would think that if you travel a free 3G connection in over 100 countries is worth considering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I've finally made up my mind and have gone for the 3G + WiFi model, I should have it today or tomorrow so will tell you how the 3G works. I would think that if you travel a free 3G connection in over 100 countries is worth considering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

I'd definitely get the 3G version. I've had a few occasions when I've desperately needed to check my e-mail but couldn't find any wifi. Yes, I know it's for reading books...

darth vadar

Über Member
So, there you are on the beach reading your Kindle, when you find that sand has somehow got into the workings of the machine.

"Sorry mate, its knackered. Didn't you read the (very) small print that you shouldn't use it on the beach" ?

When will people realise that it is just another example of "The Emperors New Clothes" and go back to

reading, erm, well, .............er, books??

martint235

Dog on a bike
So, there you are on the beach reading your Kindle, when you find that sand has somhow got into the workings of the machine.

"Sorry mate, its knackered. Didn't you read the (very) small print that you shouldn't use it on the beach" ?

When will people realise that it is just another example of "The Emperors New Clothes" and go back to

When I can carry enough books for two weeks on the beach in the side pocket of my cargo shorts........ :tongue:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
So, there you are on the beach reading your Kindle, when you find that sand has somhow got into the workings of the machine.

When I can afford a bigger flat or house to hold more books (Kindle bought to alleviate the problem of no more bookshelf space in the flat)!

My Kindle isn't a replacement for books, it's an addition to them. I'm reading on the Kindle at home, as well as having two 'real' books on the go at the same time (one at home, one when using the bus).

darth vadar

Über Member
When I can afford a bigger flat or house to hold more books (Kindle bought to alleviate the problem of no more bookshelf space in the flat)!

If you don't have much room then why not just borrow them from the library. Its a free service and you take them back and swop them for another when you've read it.

Books will still be around long after the Kindle has become obsolete.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Sadly, my local library won't come on holiday with me. Taking a fortnights worth of books weighs a ton.

I think it'll have to be the 3G version. If I can check email on it, then I can leave the netbook at home, saving me another kilo in my rucksack. Result!!

vikingcyclist

If you don't have much room then why not just borrow them from the library. Its a free service and you take them back and swop them for another when you've read it.

Various reasons.
1 - I prefer to own my books, it means I can't forget to return them
2 - The library doesn't have many new books that I'm after, nor do they have a lot of technical manuals I need
3 - The library isn't necessarily open when I feel like picking up or returning a book
4 - If I own a book, I can re-read it when I feel like it or put it to one side for a while

Books will still be around long after the Kindle has become obsolete.

And why's that a problem? I doubt it's true as such, since new model eReaders will be improving as time goes by and it's a technology which isn't going to vanish, but I don't see a problem with treating a Kindle as a disposable resource.

It's the second eReader I've owned, the first being a Sony which was misplaced. I used it for a long time, and got through a lot of books. Because ebooks tend to be cheaper than paperbacks the amount of money I saved in prices, bookcases (I'd've needed at least another two for the number of books stored on it), and rent (my house is already stuffed full of books, I'd've needed somewhere bigger) more than makes up for the cost of the reader.

I'm curious why you seem to be so against them though. I was originally, until I actually tried one.

This is an odd thing. No-one seems to throw books away, even though magazines at a similar cost go straight in the bin at the end of the week. I just can't bring myself to do that with a book, so every few months I gather them up and take them to the hospice shop. Even so, I have several hundred books that have moved house with me....

I've just bought one and I wish they had been available a long time ago.
I work on a ship, and have visited lots of the world, so ability to can carry lots of books around without the baggage penalties is a no-brainer. Being away for weeks a library isn't an option -3G worth the few extra pounds to me.

Beach - whats the problem? Never heard of a ziplock bag? Or even buy a waterproof case in which case you can do something that isn't possible with a book - read it in the shower.

After ordering it I started reading a couple of books with the Kindle pc app. The page size is similar on the pc and kindle (13" laptop screen) BUT the difference in the reading experience is night and day. The kindle is so much nicer. For me amazon achieved what they wanted, making the device forgettable and just enjoying the book.

I have a feeling I might have a fight with my kids over it once they have seen it. But thats not a complaint if it keeps their nose in a book.

Top Bottom