Kinesis titanium frame, it was great while it lasted!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
As per @tom73 's comments re confidence
If you have then get it repaired

I think this is my issue, my confidence in the longevity of the frame, either the repair or somewhere else just isnt there.

Am I just putting of the inevitable, maybe it will go on to serve me well, who knows? Yes its "only" £150 and part of me says take a punt and as others have suggested its probably worth a go. But it has caused me so much anguish over the last couple of weeks, in truth I will be glad to see the back of it!

Dont get me wrong anytime for a frame to break isnt good for anyone, but with retirement just months away and the financal planning surrounding my decision, this really has put a spanner in the works. Much to my wife's annoyance, but I thought I had built up enough bikes to last me till I pop my clogs, then this happens! :angry:

Maybe just get it repaired and then sell it, would that be the right thing to do? But I don't think I could rest easy if it were to break again ang some gets injured or worse still killed as a result.

Maybe just sell it as it is and let someone else get it repaired and have the hassle or uncertainty?

As it stands right now, its worthless to me, so anything is a bonus I guess?

After all, as someone pointed out earlier in the tread, there is a Kinesis Ti frame on ebay right now (its years older than mine to) with a similar crack but on the other chain stay to mine, its unrepaired and they want £450 for it......:ohmy:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Yes you could sell it on with gaurantee after the repair or before.
But it sounds like you have well and truly lost confidence and love for it @AlanW from your reply.

Jameshow

Veteran
I think this is my issue, my confidence in the longevity of the frame, either the repair or somewhere else just isnt there.

Am I just putting of the inevitable, maybe it will go on to serve me well, who knows? Yes its "only" £150 and part of me says take a punt and as others have suggested its probably worth a go. But it has caused me so much anguish over the last couple of weeks, in truth I will be glad to see the back of it!

Dont get me wrong anytime for a frame to break isnt good for anyone, but with retirement just months away and the financal planning surrounding my decision, this really has put a spanner in the works. Much to my wife's annoyance, but I thought I had built up enough bikes to last me till I pop my clogs, then this happens! :angry:

Maybe just get it repaired and then sell it, would that be the right thing to do? But I don't think I could rest easy if it were to break again ang some gets injured or worse still killed as a result.

Maybe just sell it as it is and let someone else get it repaired and have the hassle or uncertainty?

As it stands right now, its worthless to me, so anything is a bonus I guess?

After all, as someone pointed out earlier in the tread, there is a Kinesis Ti frame on ebay right now (its years older than mine to) with a similar crack but on the other chain stay to mine, its unrepaired and they want £450 for it......:ohmy:

Wrong thread should be on how much they are having a laugh thread!!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Dont get me wrong, l hear what you say, but the problem being, whose to say what is acceptable?

A five year old bike bought for £99 from a catalogue would be unlikely to develop a crack in the frame from normal use over five years. An expensive one from a manufacturer of (Supposedly) high quality frames aimed at the enthusiast market should not either. I would maintain that I had a good case of "Not fit for purpose" if one did.

You can only ask, if they think you are on a loser they will soon tell you. In any case, even an initial approach from Trading Standards might panic them into paying up. Who needs that sort of publicity?

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru

I don't understand, Van Nic come with a lifetime warranty, why not claim and get a replacement frame?

It's also a known area for failure with that manufacturers frames to.

Back in the days of estay MTBs, I had a friend whose frame cracked at the junction of the seat tube and chainstays.

We repaired it with a fibreglass "bandage". Not car filler fibreglass, proper fibreglass cloth.

Very ugly, but lasted for years.

Really, your frame is valueless now. No welder wants to guarantee the repair which is fair. You could have a go at doing this yourself.

Top Bottom