Kinesis titanium frame, it was great while it lasted!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
In my mind the CF frame definitely has a life span of less than 20 years even if just left in the box, nobody really knows as there are relatively few CF frames that old and using the same resins. It is also getting a hammering as a commute bike hitting pot holes etc and doing 10k miles a year.

You can't have it both ways :laugh: Either nobody knows, or it can be definitely.

So far as any aging goes "even if left in the box", you are right, nobody really knows for sure, though there have been plenty of other CF products around for much longer, and I haven't heard anything about them deteriorating if not used.

So far as the hammering goes though, they have carried out fairly extensive testing, giving the frames more of a hammering in a few months than any real cyclist could manage in quite a few years.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
So far as the hammering goes though, they have carried out fairly extensive testing, giving the frames more of a hammering in a few months than any real cyclist could manage in quite a few years.

This is a pretty impressive series of tests!

(I don't think those guys value their eyesight as much as I value mine though! :eek:)

Fastpedaller

That does look impressive, however is it 'real World'? The effects of sunlight and water damage may severally impact the long-term properties of CF.

Jameshow

Veteran
Why
That does look impressive, however is it 'real World'? The effects of sunlight and water damage may severally impact the long-term properties of CF.

Would sunlight affect a painted frame?
Why would water affect a carbon frame? Epoxy is probably the frame material least likely to be affected by water. Polyester grp boats are coated with epoxy as a water barrier!

Fastpedaller

Why

Would sunlight affect a painted frame?
Why would water affect a carbon frame? Epoxy is probably the frame material least likely to be affected by water. Polyester grp boats are coated with epoxy as a water barrier!

Any 'breaches' in the clearcoat where parts are fitted, stone chips etc could let water into the weave?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
There's boats made of carbon fibre.
Literally boats that have sailed round the globe are made of it.

You're talking absolute bobbins.

I must admit, I thought his/her first post re water and CF was the perennial "don't ride your CF frame in the rain it will dissolve" joke. however it seems they were not joking, but talking bobbins as you say! :okay:

Top Bottom