Kinesis titanium frame, it was great while it lasted!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Is it really better than CF for that?

I know when Ti frames first came on the market, CF wasn't really a thing, and Ti is supposed to be way better than steel or Alu. But not so sure that holds up against CF.

I would definitely say "yes" to that. I ride a CF Cervelo C3 which is a fabulous bike, fits me like a glove and I can ride all day. However if I ride my Kinesis ti the same distance, same route etc. I'll finish feeling fresher.

I will have ridden faster on my Cervelo but won't have put in any less effort on the Kinesis.

.........and they're shiny, look great, scratches polish out etc. Important to me but not to all.

Fastpedaller

I have posted before about my cracked Sunday Cycles (became Sabbath) frame, it was (a very light triple butted frame, the crack was just behind the head tube probably the transition of the butting, a mate at work welded it and I rode it for a while before selling it on, I have had a Kinesis Ti frame and very nice it was too, I sold that on because of the lack of clearance.
Also sold on a Van Nic Chinook because of lack of clearance.
I have a Spa Elan Ti which is notably the heaviest Ti frame I have owned,
I wonder if the quest to save weight is compromising the strength of the tubes.
I also have an OnOne Pickenfanflick Ti which has had some serious abuse, this is also not as light as the one I cracked.
I like Ti for smooth ride coupled with the easy wipe down and it looks like new aspect, no worry about paint damage, my first Ti an Airborne Zeppelin (became Van Nic) is still being ridden by a mate and looks brand new,
Why not buy two steel bike frames exactly the same - just leave one in the garage to keep it pristine and ride the other? ^_^

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Thanks for starting this thread. I have Kinesis ATRV3 which is titanium. She developed a creak 3-4 weeks ago. I've been investigating all the possible suspects, seat rails, post etc. all the little things which can be the source.

I hadn't considered the frame itself. I'll be going over it with a fine toothcomb tomorrow.

Stimulated by @AlanW experience I've been over my Kinesis ATRV3 inch by inch today. Checked visually and ran my finger tips over every surface. Found nothing but did spot the non-drive side crank needed a nip to tighten a tiny bit of play. Popped some lube in as well in the hope this is the source of my creak.

Good luck Alan.

Adam4868

Guru
Maybe as a last resort turn to social media,put a complaint through their twitter/Instagram account ect..no company wants any bad/negative feedback/publicity.They haven't really left you with any other option,25% isn't fair !
I paid a lot for a guaranteed delivery,flowers and champagne for someone recently...they never arrived for three days so missed the occasion.First tried to blame the post and then just point blank said tough.I constantly left shite on their social pages and after 5 days they refunded me,with the pointless reply of don't use us again lol
Good luck 🤞

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It's an incredible material in many ways, however I maintain that it's fundamentally inappropriate for safety critical consumer applications.
Moto GP bikes have carbon fibre frames and kick out about 240BHP and an F1 car has a carbon fibre shell that manages to cope with 1000BHP.

I can't see the problem with using it for cycle frames unless someone takes liberties with wall thickness to save weight - which I think is the problem with frames that fail. Lightness sells when it comes to bikes and someone will always take a chance to steal a march on their competitors.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Moto GP bikes have carbon fibre frames and kick out about 240BHP and an F1 car has a carbon fibre shell that manages to cope with 1000BHP.

I can't see the problem with using it for cycle frames unless someone takes liberties with wall thickness to save weight - which I think is the problem with frames that fail. Lightness sells when it comes to bikes and someone will always take a chance to steal a march on their competitors.

Indeed, but what is the design life of either of those examples?

I do agree with your point about fragility and weight saving, but then since CFRP is so prone to failue through impact damage / stress raisers, maybe a frame built sufficiently heavily to resist such issues would be uncompetitive with alternative materials from a mass perspective..?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Indeed, but what is the design life of either of those examples?

I do agree with your point about fragility and weight saving, but then since CFRP is so prone to failue through impact damage / stress raisers, maybe a frame built sufficiently heavily to resist such issues would be uncompetitive with alternative materials from a mass perspective..?

Carbon fibre is used almost exclusively for racing, from elite right the way down. Frame failure does not seem to be any more of an issue than it was back in the days of steel so the idea that it has a strictly limited lifespan does not hold up. Most pro riders outside of the World Tour (And a few in the lower budget WT teams) will have the same frame for two or three years, and they will only be replaced if broken.

Most F1 and Moto GP teams do not have money to burn either and cannot afford to replace bikes and cars like they change their socks. And then there is the aircraft industry, where CF (And aluminium) are used extensively. Design it properly (Like most manufacturers seem to manage) and it will be light but safe.

Velochris

Ãœber Member
I began drafting a response regarding a failed frame last year. Did not need to use it in the end but the general points may help. Mine had a lifetime guarantee so I was in a stronger position that way, but your three year guarantee does not negate your case.

"The Consumer Rights Act 2015 requires goods to be of satisfactory quality (section 9(1)). The quality of the goods is satisfactory if they meet the standard expected of a reasonable person, taking into account factors such as description, price and other factors (section 9(2)). Other factors, such as statements made by the producer are also considered as part of the test (section 9(5)).

The bicycle was purchased in late 2017 for circa. £2,200.00 (a price reduced from the original sale price). This was a bicycle described by XXXX as capable of some gravel type riding (not that I used it for that) and came with a lifetime frame guarantee. Paragraph 105 of the explanatory notes of the Act explain a person has a limit of six years if they believe a breach of contract has occurred. In particular it refers to a breach of the goods being not of satisfactory quality in respect of the expectation of a reasonable person.

In light of that I believe the cost of the frame and advertised intended would mean a reasonable person would expect the bicycle to last longer than five years "

Sorry if I have missed the model of the frame. If it is a gravel bike you may have a stronger argument. Ideally look for a catalogue from the year it was made. I note on their website the latest gravel bike is described as being fit for Himalayan rides and uses titanium for ultimate strength. If you can find something saying similar about yours, a failure like yours after averaging 10 miles day would not appear reasonable given cost as well. If they do offer a longer warranty on current titanium frames it raises questions regarding if previous frames were not built to the same standards.

Hopefully you are in Strava so can evidence all the riding was on roads (if that was the case) and not on the gravel terrain the frame was made for (if it is a gravel frame).

If they bring in the might have been crashed argument ask them for proof of their assertion. Also highlight the lack of any scuff marks/crash damage.

The onus is on you, but not to prove the science regarding material failure. You have to prove it did not meet the test of a reasonable person, so the more evidence you can get in the basket the better.

Hope this helps. Only my own views and not offered with any expertise.

If all else fails take comfort in the fact it didn't snap whilst riding and it is a snapped frame, not a snapped body.

Top Bottom