Kinesis titanium frame, it was great while it lasted!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
Purchased the frame in June 2018, and it was an absolute joy to ride.
However it developed a creaking last week, and l assumed it was just the bottom bracket creaking. Im truth l forgot all about it till this morning and l went out for ride on it, creaking still there but only when out of the saddle.
Convinced it was the bottom bracket l carried on choosing to ignore the odd creaking.
Got home after 67 miles, and thought right, let's get this done, greasing the bottom bracket shells will cure it?
Removed the chainset and there staring me in the face was the problem......!
Of course it's out of warranty to!!

20230203_142346.jpg

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Out of warranty or not, I'd be onto Kinesis looking for a replacement. The tube does not look like you've damaged it in any way and it should not fail like that inside five years. I believe you have up to six years to claim against a manufacturing defect.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Out of warranty or not, I'd be onto Kinesis looking for a replacement. The tube does not look like you've damaged it in any way and it should not fail like that inside five years. I believe you have up to six years to claim against a manufacturing defect.

The frame has never been crashed or even dropped, this is a random frame failure. There terms on warranty pre 2019 are three years, post 2019 it increases to five years.
But nevertheless, l will be contacting them, but the downside, they no longer produce this frame or any other rim braked frame for that matter.

Jameshow

Veteran
No, never and it has done 11032.6 miles since new.

.6 miles too many!

It's a premium product and I'd suggest that it's not of satisfactory quality if it's failed so soon. The reason they would have changed the warranty period is because if it went to court it's unlikely that they'd win claiming the T&Cs of the contract. How much did it cost?

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
It's a premium product and I'd suggest that it's not of satisfactory quality if it's failed so soon. The reason they would have changed the warranty period is because if it went to court it's unlikely that they'd win claiming the T&Cs of the contract. How much did it cost?

Just over £2k

Good evening,

Ouch!

I do feel for you as I commute on a 10speed Di2 setup with an external battery, so a front or rear mech failure will probably lead to needing a whole new 12 speed gear set. Sadly 105 Di2 is wireless only so even the shifters won't work and I am not sure if the current wheels will accept a 12 speed cassette.

In other words expensive.

This brings me onto my real point, as consumers we can choose to buy products that have limited lifespans. The 5/6 year idea has sprung up from general purpose consumer products such as VHS recorders or fridges, things people buy without passion or interest.

Titanium bike frames are an informed purchase, they cost a lot of money and there are functionally equivalent frames available for a tenth of the price, added to which it is harder to buy a titanium frame than the steel/aluminium one. So the customer will be assumed to know why what they are purchasing is so expensive and the risks associated with that.

That last paragraph is a statement of fact not a dig at the op.

When I read 5 years I thought that's okay for a titanium frame, it is not great but it is within the expected lifespan. When I saw just over 10k miles I thought definitely try and make Kinesis feel guilty.

Plucked off the Kinesis web site; For us to put a Kinesis UK badge on any product it must be well made and dependable all year round, perform at a level beyond its price point and help people have fun while riding or in use.

That are not even suggesting that the products are made to their design, meaning a bod in marketing talks to a production manager who agrees to stick a customer specific logo onto something mass produced.

Okay they no longer offer a titanium frame, so what else do you want to try at a heavily reduced price? :laugh: I am interest in e-bikes, just not at the current prices,

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Thanks for starting this thread. I have Kinesis ATRV3 which is titanium. She developed a creak 3-4 weeks ago. I've been investigating all the possible suspects, seat rails, post etc. all the little things which can be the source.

I hadn't considered the frame itself. I'll be going over it with a fine toothcomb tomorrow.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
When I read 5 years I thought that's okay for a titanium frame, it is not great but it is within the expected lifespan.

I just cannot agree with that. All frames should be able to last indefinitely in normal use no matter which material they are made from. Ti frames are routinely touted as "A frame for life" because the material does not corrode and if Kinesis know differently they should warn the customer at the point of sale that the frame will fail after a relatively short time. They don't, because they don't expect it to and if it has it is down to a manufacturing or a design flaw - I would suspect the latter where they have made the tube wall too thin in a weight saving excercise.

If it were me I'd be looking for a full refund.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I just cannot agree with that. All frames should be able to last indefinitely in normal use no matter which material they are made from. Ti frames are routinely touted as "A frame for life" because the material does not corrode and if Kinesis know differently they should warn the customer at the point of sale that the frame will fail after a relatively short time. They don't, because they don't expect it to and if it has it is down to a manufacturing or a design flaw - I would suspect the latter where they have made the tube wall too thin in a weight saving excercise.

If it were me I'd be looking for a full refund.

You've expressed very well my view on this. One reason I chose titanium is its reputation as "a bike for life." Everyone I know who rides one holds the same view. Five years is way off the mark.

Yes, frames of any type should have a long life span. I wouldn't expect a frame to wear out though I quite understand it's more than possible to damage one through crashes etc.

Top Bottom