King Alfred's Way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
they missed out the Wessex section up from Salisbury to Marlborough

I'be been following this venture since the pre-publicity (it IS on my doorstep!), and had a while to think about the concept, I think the general message here is that calling it a "Gravel" route is optimistic, except in good weather/conditions. The word "bandwagon" is lurking in the wings.
It's certainly not an easy route for the less physically able, or if you don't have the right bike.
Still, it will be interesting for many, as this thread demonstrates.

HOWEVER, speaking selfishly, I'd rather have a route that is much more rideable, even if that means a fair few miles of quiet lanes and back-roads. That would be more accesible/inclusive. But maybe I'm in the minority, maybe most are desperate to avoid cars at all costs?

I like the idea of quiet lanes rather than mud plugging. Especially if you're doing the whole thing. I can cope with mud if I know I can clean the bike and myself that night.

After seeing half of the GCN video I don't think it's one for the wetter months. 😁

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have ridden the Ridgeway part of it in all seasons - in the winter it is near-on impassable when wet and muddy; I stay away until it’s been dry for a while. I’ll probably be going along there tomorrow as it’s riding really well at the moment.

johnblack

Über Member
I've ridden the South Downs way, which is the KAW part from Winchester to South Harting, it was in the summer and dry. Got to say wouldn't fancy it in the winter unless it had been dry for a bit, there will be parts that would be almost impossible on a MTB, but as for a gravel bike....

figbat

Slippery scientist
I actually bailed out of it this morning and took a different route - with the overnight rain the rutted and chalky sections would have been lethal.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I've been thinking of doing this with a friend. It's annoying that the cycling guide has run out, because I don't think the route is sign posted and the guide had a list of accommodation.

Top Bottom