King Alfred's Way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I am home after a great few days attempting to do the King Alfred’s way. And not fully succeeding

Did it on a front suspension mountain bike, with a 20 L air lock bag from Alpkit strapped to the front bars, with their 17litre rear pack (got all tent and bedding in there). Plus a small rucksack.

Navigation on Garmin 1030. I cannot see how you would do this on paper maps without a million navigation stops.

Day 1 Started from Winchester on Tuesday afternoon, did 45K to old Sarum. I live in Winchester so I know that route fairly well. I was pleasantly surprised with the conditions bearing in mind we had had two days of heavy rain. Stealth camped the night.

Day 2 Great greasy spoon fryup in Amesbury! Camped in village between Marlborough and Avebury at friends' house. They recommended a shortcut avoiding the climb out of Avebury, which gave me a flattish 20k warm up to a café stop. Then a further 5k on tarmac to the Ridgeway proper. See here https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36634270 (great cafe at the point where you turn right at about 19k)

A hard day fairly rutted but (apart from hills!) only a couple of hundred metres needing walking due to mud. I had committed to staying with a friend in Reading, which looked too far and I decided to get the train from Goring, but once I had some food and perked up I pushed on. Top tip, just because a path runs alongside the Thames doesn’t mean it’s flat. There was one climb which must be well over 25% and I struggled even to push the bike up it. But only about 50 m long. One corresponding downhill was so steep I didn’t even dare cycle down. So 87k day 2

Day 3. I had plans to do two 80k days to finish. The route alongside the A33 south of Reading was annoyingly muddy although flattish. I was struggling for energy even on flat tarmac parts and decided to cut short and get a train from Hook when I hit the A30.

My issues are not cycling fitness as I do tons of riding inc long distance touring, but I had underestimated the upper body strength needed off road and I do have Parkinsons that affects me. Mentally the concentration on some sections of singletrack can be hard. Also my health issue means I need to use cleated pedals, but that then makes me nervous about being clipped in, particularly when going slow and on the many raised ridges.

I may well find a dry few days and finish Hook to Winchester in the summer over 2-3 days without overstretching myself.

Bike was pretty good. Minor spd pedal issue with loose screws. Broke the chain east of Goring but luckily had a spare Quicklink. I run tubeless with no issues at all.

Quite apart from the physical effort do not underestimate the logistics of diversions to pubs/cafes (usually involving hills) and accommodation is likely to add distance. I ran very low on water on the Ridgeway due to forgetting to fill one of my bottles.

A superbly remote route that really makes you feel you are in the wilds. Lots of other friendly cyclists (did not see a single one going anticlockwise). Cafes and pubs welcoming to cyclists

If anyone wants any advice or comments on kit navigation or logistics et cetera get in touch

Lee smith

Regular
I recently completed the King Alfred Way route. It took me 3 and a half days going at a slowish pace and doing long days on the saddle. Did it on a Trek 920 with my rear rack on and 2 small Ortlieb 15 litre gravel panniers on the back with a handlebar bag on the front. Carried 5 litres of water aswell so the bike was quite heavy. I used a Garmin 530 with Komoot navigation. I was blessed with the weather, it was hot but bearable. I enjoyed the whole route with the ridgeway being the best bit by far, the scenery was absolutely stunning. I did struggle with a lot of the hills and ended up walking quite a few of them, the south downs being the worst part for me personally. I will definitely do the route again but on a much lighter set up so I can deal with hills. Thoroughly recommend.

I recently completed the King Alfred Way route. It took me 3 and a half days going at a slowish pace and doing long days on the saddle. Did it on a Trek 920 with my rear rack on and 2 small Ortlieb 15 litre gravel panniers on the back with a handlebar bag on the front. Carried 5 litres of water aswell so the bike was quite heavy. I used a Garmin 530 with Komoot navigation. I was blessed with the weather, it was hot but bearable. I enjoyed the whole route with the ridgeway being the best bit by far, the scenery was absolutely stunning. I did struggle with a lot of the hills and ended up walking quite a few of them, the south downs being the worst part for me personally. I will definitely do the route again but on a much lighter set up so I can deal with hills. Thoroughly recommend.
What did you do for overnights?

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Finished doing this yesterday. The short version is that it is quite tough. It is difficult to navigate, especially between Reading and East Meon. You could easily spend a week on it, and if you wanted to visit all the sites, you would have to. Finding accommodation can be a problem. There are a lot of hills to lug camping equipment up if you want to camp. Finding cheap accommodation in the Oxfordshire area is particularly difficult.

I started doing this with a friend. We set off from Reading, aiming to reach the Eco Lodge in East Meon. This was a very difficult day. We were looking at the map half the time trying to work out where we were. It was particularly difficult past Farnham. We kept taking wrong turns. We got drenched by heavy rainfall. We could not find the Shipwright’s Way. I had an issue with my gear lever. The forest route was not signposted very well. We had some tough climbs. We had to push our bikes up Butser Hill. We had phoned up the Eco Lodge about 3pm when we reckoned we would not get there by 5pm. The bloke said no problem. We made some short cuts but did not get there until 8pm and it was all closed. We rang up an emergency number and got a door code, but it was a code to the hostel not the B+B, and the letter we were told to expect was not there. We rang the number again and a woman came out to let us in. The nearest place to eat was the Bat and Ball two miles away, so we had to cycle down there without showering before they closed the kitchen. The next day we set off towards Amesbury. Things were going alright until a bolt sheared off my saddle and the saddle came off. Another cyclist recommended I push the seatpost down, but when I tried to loosen the seatpost collar, the bolt snapped. However the seatpost had seized and would not move. Stood on the pedals for another ten or fifteen miles until we reached Winchester. I took my bike to a cycle cafe called Bespoke Biking. The bicycle mechanic said he did not have the bolts to put the saddle back. In addition, he said the brake pads were worn, the headset was loose, the hubs were loose, and that he did not recommend I continue the journey. My friend said it was game over, but I did not want to give up. I tried to buy a 2nd hand bike, but they did not have anything suitable. I went to Bike X, but their bikes were rather expensive. I set off to Halfords to see what they had. They had something that looked suitable, which might have taken a rack, but time was pressing. I went back to Bike X, who had offered me £75 for my bike (I think) in part exchange. However, plans had changed. They put the saddle back on and did not charge me anything. Meanwhile, my friend had phoned another friend to take us back, but I told him I wanted to continue. I had suggested he continue on his own, and I would have tried to catch up, but he did not want to. Later he texted me he was not enjoying the journey, expecially all the map reading. So he went home and I cycled onto Salisbury Youth Hostel in Cholderton near Amesbury, via a busy A road to Stockbridge and then country lanes. I got there at 7:30 very tired. I tailgated some other guests into the hostel, but there was nobody in reception. I waited there for about half an hour before anyone showed up. It turned out there was a buzzer by the entrance I had missed. I had booked a group room, for myself and my friend, but now it was only me in a room with eight beds. The other odd thing was that they used another downstairs dorm room to store bicycles because the receptionist said a lot of cyclists were doing the King Alfred Way on expensive bikes and their cycle shed was not secure enough. The only place to get food was the pub down the road, because the nearest shop was on a dual carriageway. I set off the next day without breakfast, decided against crossing the A303, worked my way towards Amesbury and back onto the route. Had to cycle along a very busy road out of Larkhill, then started going through all these roads and paths adorned with MOD signs. I was not sure which paths we were actually allowed to cycle on and on which we might be shelled by mistake. Eventually I got onto this MOD gravel road which went on for miles and miles without barely seeing anyone, getting soaked by the rain. I missed my turn off, but worked my way back to Avebury where the standing stones are. There I rejoined the route where it became the Ridgeway. I followed that until Barbury Castle, then joined the Old Ridgeway to Chiseldon, where the hotel was. The next day I followed the Ridgeway and the Thames Path back Reading. I am familiar with much of this route and it was fairly straightforward. The biggest incident was that a motorcylist had witnessed a smash and grab from a car parked on the Ridgeway and asked me whether he should call the police. I advised him to phone 111, but I was not very helpful at working out exactly where we were. I stopped a bunch of other cyclists and through a combination of GPS and other phone apps, we were able to give a location.

Finished doing this yesterday. The short version is that it is quite tough. It is difficult to navigate, especially between Reading and East Meon. You could easily spend a week on it, and if you wanted to visit all the sites, you would have to. Finding accommodation can be a problem. There are a lot of hills to lug camping equipment up if you want to camp. Finding cheap accommodation in the Oxfordshire area is particularly difficult.

I started doing this with a friend. We set off from Reading, aiming to reach the Eco Lodge in East Meon. This was a very difficult day. We were looking at the map half the time trying to work out where we were. It was particularly difficult past Farnham. We kept taking wrong turns. We got drenched by heavy rainfall. We could not find the Shipwright’s Way. I had an issue with my gear lever. The forest route was not signposted very well. We had some tough climbs. We had to push our bikes up Butser Hill. We had phoned up the Eco Lodge about 3pm when we reckoned we would not get there by 5pm. The bloke said no problem. We made some short cuts but did not get there until 8pm and it was all closed. We rang up an emergency number and got a door code, but it was a code to the hostel not the B+B, and the letter we were told to expect was not there. We rang the number again and a woman came out to let us in. The nearest place to eat was the Bat and Ball two miles away, so we had to cycle down there without showering before they closed the kitchen. The next day we set off towards Amesbury. Things were going alright until a bolt sheared off my saddle and the saddle came off. Another cyclist recommended I push the seatpost down, but when I tried to loosen the seatpost collar, the bolt snapped. However the seatpost had seized and would not move. Stood on the pedals for another ten or fifteen miles until we reached Winchester. I took my bike to a cycle cafe called Bespoke Biking. The bicycle mechanic said he did not have the bolts to put the saddle back. In addition, he said the brake pads were worn, the headset was loose, the hubs were loose, and that he did not recommend I continue the journey. My friend said it was game over, but I did not want to give up. I tried to buy a 2nd hand bike, but they did not have anything suitable. I went to Bike X, but their bikes were rather expensive. I set off to Halfords to see what they had. They had something that looked suitable, which might have taken a rack, but time was pressing. I went back to Bike X, who had offered me £75 for my bike (I think) in part exchange. However, plans had changed. They put the saddle back on and did not charge me anything. Meanwhile, my friend had phoned another friend to take us back, but I told him I wanted to continue. I had suggested he continue on his own, and I would have tried to catch up, but he did not want to. Later he texted me he was not enjoying the journey, expecially all the map reading. So he went home and I cycled onto Salisbury Youth Hostel in Cholderton near Amesbury, via a busy A road to Stockbridge and then country lanes. I got there at 7:30 very tired. I tailgated some other guests into the hostel, but there was nobody in reception. I waited there for about half an hour before anyone showed up. It turned out there was a buzzer by the entrance I had missed. I had booked a group room, for myself and my friend, but now it was only me in a room with eight beds. The other odd thing was that they used another downstairs dorm room to store bicycles because the receptionist said a lot of cyclists were doing the King Alfred Way on expensive bikes and their cycle shed was not secure enough. The only place to get food was the pub down the road, because the nearest shop was on a dual carriageway. I set off the next day without breakfast, decided against crossing the A303, worked my way towards Amesbury and back onto the route. Had to cycle along a very busy road out of Larkhill, then started going through all these roads and paths adorned with MOD signs. I was not sure which paths we were actually allowed to cycle on and on which we might be shelled by mistake. Eventually I got onto this MOD gravel road which went on for miles and miles without barely seeing anyone, getting soaked by the rain. I missed my turn off, but worked my way back to Avebury where the standing stones are. There I rejoined the route where it became the Ridgeway. I followed that until Barbury Castle, then joined the Old Ridgeway to Chiseldon, where the hotel was. The next day I followed the Ridgeway and the Thames Path back Reading. I am familiar with much of this route and it was fairly straightforward. The biggest incident was that a motorcylist had witnessed a smash and grab from a car parked on the Ridgeway and asked me whether he should call the police. I advised him to phone 111, but I was not very helpful at working out exactly where we were. I stopped a bunch of other cyclists and through a combination of GPS and other phone apps, we were able to give a location.
Lordy.

How many days did it take you ?

What would you do differently next time ?

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Lordy.

How many days did it take you ?

What would you do differently next time ?
Four days. If I did it again, I'd use some electronic navigation device, but I don't know what's out there. I'd add another day, maybe two. I didn't have time to see any of the sites described in the guide, except the standing stones as I passed Avebury. I did not have time to visit the Rare Breeds Centre next to the youth hostel in Cholderton. The leg from Reading to East Meon was too long, but I wanted to stay at the Sustainability Centre. However, that is not an ideal place to stay because everyone goes home at 5pm. I am not sure about the Salisbury Youth Hostel in Cholderton. It takes you a fair way off the path. Accommodation is tricky, especially this year. Originally another friend planned to meet up with us in the evenings in her camper van. If that had worked out we would have camped, but the route is difficult enough without lugging camping gear. I'd get my bike checked out and overhauled by the bike shop. It had some good components, but it is quite old now. I don't know what cycle tourists usually do about clothes. I had one set of evening clothes and trainers, and two cycling shirts, two pairs of cycling socks, two pairs of cycling shorts, and cycling jacket. I don't like putting on wet or smelly shirts and socks in the morning, so I rinse them in the sink at the end of the day, but I had difficulty getting them dry.

HelenD123

Guru
@Yellow Fang on the clothes front, I find I can wear tops for several days without them smelling. If that's an issue for you look into merino clothing. It's not as robust but doesn't smell and regulates temperature better too. For shorts, I find I don't need padding and have been trying these shorts by Runderwear. My trip was short enough I didn't need to wash them but my hope is they are quick drying. They will certainly dry quicker than padded shorts. I rarely wash clothes and need them to dry overnight. I take enough that will last me either until I'm home or at a campsite or hostel with washing facilities. I love the feeling of the laundry day re-set when you set off with a clean and dry clothes again.

Edited to add that my approach is why I struggle to pack light :laugh:.

Lostagain

We completed it in the planned 6 days and relied heavily on Komoot on our phones for navigation. Accommodation was at Travelodges and Premier Inns, which allow bikes into the room and the aircon/ventilation was enough to dry my merino top overnight.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member

I know the very steep bit on the Thames Valley path you referred to. I have got up it, but not in the wet, not when tired, and not while lugging any baggage.

Know what you mean about the upper body strength required for off road cycling. I felt it in my forearms going downhill.

jay clock

Massive member
reading about navigation problems i am assuming people didn't have gps of some sort. I used a Garmin 1030 Edge. probably had 10 spots a day where I missed a tiny turn and had to backtrack 20m, but zero issues and i cannot conceive how hard it must be with a paper map

Top Bottom