King Kev

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mangaman

Hey NickM

As a fellow canary we're doing alright
No-one could expect us to beat the mighty Bury ontheir home turf - they're the Barcelona of the old 4th division;)

On a completely different note I met Delia Smith in 2006 - as I quite like cooking and love Norwich and they run cookery days there

It was a Thursday and we had a long chat about stability, not sacking managers etc. Lots of people wanted Worthington out but I couldn't see how that would help with no new money etc

Delia wholeheartedly agreed and said the clubs with long term success let their managers build and rebuild teams (eg arsenal)

On the Sunday 2 days later she sacked him (lying cow)

I've never quite trusted her recipes since - what if she says add 1 egg but 2 days later she decides what she meant was add 5 onions??

NickM

Veteran
mangaman said:
I've never quite trusted her recipes since - what if she says add 1 egg but 2 days later she decides what she meant was add 5 onions??
Then you assume she was pissed? ;)

I have relations (exiled) in Scotland. I don't believe in chopping and changing teams according to how well they're doing, but - do you think I could reasonably become an Inverness Cally Thistle supporter in addition to being a Canary?

QuickDraw

What's everybody got against Kevin Keegan and Newcastle?

The fans are excited and more importantly the players are excited by his appointment. If just his presence can inspire them to better things all he needs is a good backroom staff and I see no reason he can't be successful - by Newcastle standards anyway.

Even if he's not successful I'd much rather watch a struggling Newcastle side under Keegan than any side put together by Allardyce. Not winning things and a dull team or not winning things but seeing plenty of fast attacking football? It's a no contest.

I hope he does well, I don't think he's any chance of winning the title but I'd love it, I mean really love it if he brought the FA Cup back to Tyneside.

QuickDraw

NickM said:
I have relations (exiled) in Scotland. I don't believe in chopping and changing teams according to how well they're doing, but - do you think I could reasonably become an Inverness Cally Thistle supporter in addition to being a Canary?

No reason why not. At school we all supported English teams, mostly to give us something to argue about cos we all (more or less) supported the same Scottish team. And ICT have got the story behind them of coming from nowhere, beating Celtic in the cup and eventually making it to the top division. Hopefully it won't be long till they qualify for Europe.

PS it's Caley not Cally.

Tetedelacourse

mangaman said:
Hey NickM

As a fellow canary we're doing alright
No-one could expect us to beat the mighty Bury ontheir home turf - they're the Barcelona of the old 4th division;)

On a completely different note I met Delia Smith in 2006 - as I quite like cooking and love Norwich and they run cookery days there

It was a Thursday and we had a long chat about stability, not sacking managers etc. Lots of people wanted Worthington out but I couldn't see how that would help with no new money etc

Delia wholeheartedly agreed and said the clubs with long term success let their managers build and rebuild teams (eg arsenal)

On the Sunday 2 days later she sacked him (lying cow)

Appropriate that she pops up in this thread, as another publicly embarrassing football ranter!;) WHERE ARE YA? WELL? WHERE ARE YA?:angry:

Tetedelacourse

QuickDraw said:
What's everybody got against Kevin Keegan and Newcastle?

The fans are excited and more importantly the players are excited by his appointment. If just his presence can inspire them to better things all he needs is a good backroom staff and I see no reason he can't be successful - by Newcastle standards anyway.

Even if he's not successful I'd much rather watch a struggling Newcastle side under Keegan than any side put together by Allardyce. Not winning things and a dull team or not winning things but seeing plenty of fast attacking football? It's a no contest.

I hope he does well, I don't think he's any chance of winning the title but I'd love it, I mean really love it if he brought the FA Cup back to Tyneside.

Easy to say when your club won something last season and most seasons. Possibly not so when it's been 39 years...

QuickDraw

Tetedelacourse said:
Easy to say when your club won something last season and most seasons. Possibly not so when it's been 39 years...

Probably but I remember the football played under Barnes, Burns and even Brady as much preferable to that played under Jansen (despite the much happier outcome).

I'm sure the Geordies would put up with boring football if it led them to the title but since that can't be guaranteed surely it's better to try the swashbuckling approach rather than going down the dull route and ending up in the same position?

Chris James

Über Member
QuickDraw said:
I'm sure the Geordies would put up with boring football if it led them to the title but since that can't be guaranteed surely it's better to try the swashbuckling approach rather than going down the dull route and ending up in the same position?

I'd like to agree with you, but unfortunately swashbuckling in the English Premier League can lead to you nearly getting relegated, costing you tends of millions in TV money and place money and possibly going bankrupt (if you have a high wage bill like Newcastle).

Hence the appalling caution showed by almost all teams in the league with 4-5-1, keep it tight becoming the norm.

My inlaws are all Newcastle season ticket holders and are pretty excited about Keegan's return. But then again they are all masters at self delusion (did I mention they are Newcastle seaons ticket holders?) and start most seasons thinking they have a good chance of winning the league.

Keegan is a likeable fella (even to an Evertonian like me who finds it hard to forgive any ex rednose). He is certainly enthusiastic but even ten years ago he was tactically naive and not interested in the technical side of the game. he was more interested in blood and thunder. It remains to be seen if the game has pased him by.

mangaman

do you think I could reasonably become an Inverness Cally Thistle supporter in addition to being a Canary?

Definitely - sounds like fun

I'm a secret Wycombe Wanderers fan

Just don't turn into a tractor lover

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Walking around the streets, the news of his appointment created an atmosphere that was verging on the manic in the toon last night. I'm with Quickdraw here - no-one in Newcastle really thinks we are going to win anything major but we'd rather do it in some style - people do actually care about the club and the team here, it's not just a load of corporate 'pick a team that's winning' drones.

Chris James said:
......... It remains to be seen if the game has pased him by.

It has: It had passed him by at City.

The only manager in the last 10 years to impress has been Bobby Robson and he was hamstrung by having to build his team around Shearer

Chris James

Über Member
Crackle said:
It has: It had passed him by at City.

The only manager in the last 10 years to impress has been Bobby Robson and he was hamstrung by having to build his team around Shearer

I was being kind!

Yes, I thought (as an outsider) that Robson did well. IIRC his stint also started with not having much of a transfer kitty either, in comparison with the other managers they have had who have frittered away millions on rubbish before being shown the door.

Chris James said:
I was being kind!.

;)

Chris James said:
Yes, I thought (as an outsider) that Robson did well. IIRC his stint also started with not having much of a transfer kitty either, in comparison with the other managers they have had who have frittered away millions on rubbish before being shown the door.

As an outsider, Newcastle are one of the few teams I'd like to see do well, though I wish they'd get rid of Barton et al. A few too many rough diamonds in there.

I hope Kev will prove me wrong but I feel his managerial history speaks for itself.

U

User482

The last time Newcastle appointed one of their own (Robson) they thanked him for 3rd and 4th place finishes in consecutive seasons by sacking him.

Wonder how long Kev will last....

Top Bottom