Kingston Wheelers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_G

Now im realising im loving cycling more and more im now thinking about joining a club.
Ive found what looks to be a pretty decent and established club in my area and a nice kit to go with it, and im just wondering if anyone on here has dealt with them or is a member so i can get some info on them.
Also having not been in a sports club before is it fround upon if rides/training sessions are missed.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
a fine bunch. And you get discounts from a smart shop in Kingston.

Twickenham Cyclists are a decent outfit as well. As are the Kingston Phoenix. All in all, you're spoilt for choice.

Phil485

Hi Andy,

I'm just down the road from you in Wraysbury and I was looking at their website too. All in all they look like a good bunch. why not see if you can tag on a couple of their rides and see how you get on.

I was also looking at the Hounslow and District club which meet on a Tuesday at Staines sailing club and their club rides depart from Staines bridge on Sundays. To be fair I was being drawn to them as I could just cycle to the start point. Can't comment on whether their club kit is better or worse looking.

If you do meet up with anyone then please keep me in the loop. I struggle for time which has stopped me joining a club so far, but never say never.

Not sure what sort of riding you are doing but I am trying to do 30 or so miles either on a sat or sunday at about 17 mph average. If you fancy meeting up one weekend then we might be able to make that work.

OP
OP
A

Andy_G

@Dell, The Twickers one seems more for me(i could be wrong though).
@Phil, The H&D wheelers looks a decent set up and tbh it looks between that one and Kingston Wheelers.
I ride through your way most days and ill deffo keep you in mind for a weekender, i done a 70 miler yesterday at and average 16.3mph so were pretty much on the same level.
Check your pm's

screenman

Legendary Member
You do not have to go on any rides or in fact even own a bike to be a member of any of those clubs. I was in the Twickenham in the early seventies.

OP
OP
A

Andy_G

You do not have to go on any rides or in fact even own a bike to be a member of any of those clubs. I was in the Twickenham in the early seventies.
Yeah i saw that on their site, id rather join to ride rather than doing nothing at all.

OP
OP
A

Andy_G

Just answering your frowned upon bit.
I didnt mean nothing by it, i meant as in if i didnt go on a ride would i be looked down at, only because a mate of mine has joined a running club and at the AGM he made a bit of a dumb arse comment when asked "did you go out running boxing day" he replied "no i have a life" and ever since hes been treated like an outcast.

screenman

Legendary Member
Wow! never heard anything like that happen in a cycling club.

Phil485

Generally from what I can tell, it's just a club for fun rides.
If you where part of the team and racing for the club then maybe there would be a bit more pressure on your training.
My ten year old swims for Windsor swimming club and as he represents the club he has to commit to a certain number of hours of training a week.

I think you are a bit quicker than me Andy, but keep in touch. If you see a silver trek with a day glo orange helmet then stop me and say hi.

screenman

Legendary Member
The Kingston Wheelers has quite a sporting section with road racing and time trial thrown in. Plus of course the fun ride section of members.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
It depends what you're after. They are definitely on the competitive side of things. I went for a Sunday ride with them once but decided to join another club in the end. They weren't really what I was looking for, at the time. They have quite large club runs and will do various groups to different places. We see them out on the roads of Surrey quite regularly and I see a lot of Wheelers jerseys in Richmond Park and Summer commuting.

OP
OP
A

Andy_G

It depends what you're after. They are definitely on the competitive side of things. I went for a Sunday ride with them once but decided to join another club in the end. They weren't really what I was looking for, at the time. They have quite large club runs and will do various groups to different places. We see them out on the roads of Surrey quite regularly and I see a lot of Wheelers jerseys in Richmond Park and Summer commuting.
What club did you join in the end ?.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Addiscombe who meet in Coulsden, so probably a bit far for you. They offer a similar sized club run and also plenty of choice, in regards to rides and groupings, based on speed. When I was looking around there were quite a few smaller clubs but only a 2 or 3 bigguns within a reasonable distance from here. Wheelers meet is about 4.5 miles away and Addiscombe is 9.5 away. It's a nice warm-up ride but I probably wouldn't want it any further away or I might be more inclined to stay in bed, if the weather wasn't great.

screenman

Legendary Member
Most cycling clubs I know of run a few rides each week, there is normally a 14mph wrinkly ride then a 16mph ride and then an 18mph ride, you take your choice.

Top Bottom