Kingsway cycling club , Gloucester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gordyfinbar

Über Member
If anyone in the Gloucester area is looking for an informal club to ride with then Kingsway cycling club has just started in the south of the city and would welcome anyone who fancies a ride on a Sunday morning to get in touch. We meet every Sunday at the local centre , Thatcham Ave ,Kingsway at 9am . We Also meet regularly for " route planning meetings" at the local pub . Friendly people mixed abilities and plenty of cake. Find us on Facebook or just show up .
Gordon

Dark46

Veteran
Hi, I live in Chivenor Way, I think may have seen you this morning. Just as you went under the A38 back to the Kingsway estate. How far do you ride? I would like to come if possible. I have a Boardman hybrid .

OP
OP
gordyfinbar

gordyfinbar

Über Member
Yes that was probably us . Come along ,9am Kingsway local centre every Sunday. We normally do between 15 and 40 miles depending on ability . Nobody left behind . All welcome

jagman.2003

Über Member
Got lost in the Kingsway estate the other week! Trying to find Naas lane. Got 5th overall on Thatcham ave segment though for my troubles.
Good luck with the club, hope to see you out on the road.

Dark46

Veteran
Naas lane not easy to find when you don't know where it is!
5 th that's good! I'm still casting too much weight at mo. Hopefully that will change . I'm 77 th over the a38 bridge lol

Tcr4x4

Veteran
Don't live in kingsway myself, but my brother in law does. I might see if I can pop down one Sunday and join in. Usually ride solo, but it would be nice to meet up with some like minded people.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Hi @gordyfinbar. Good to know someone has started a local club. I'm on the Green Farm side of Quedgeley myself. I do occasional 100km audaxes and other such group rides, and like to do a bit of climbing. On the level, i can keep up with groups doing approx 15mph, but I really just winch myself up the hills in bottom gear. Does it sound like I might fit in, or do you have a few would-be alpha male types who just like to race everywhere?

I like the sound of the cake, by the way, and can recommend the Womens Institute cake afternoons at the village hall in Hill (S.Glos) on the first Sunday of every month (april to October, I think). Maybe I'll be able to drop in on your meet-up in Kingsway one Sunday soon.

Donger.

Dark46

Veteran
I never experienced any alpha males on Sunday. Yes I did get massively dropped on the hills but they always waited. It was a very relaxed ride , and me with me hydrid managed 14.4 average and really enjoyed every second. Stopped for tea and cake if you wanted it

9am at Tesco express .

I m going out in a minute on the Longney loop to better my times from yesterday hopefully lol

OP
OP
gordyfinbar

gordyfinbar

Über Member
Hi donger . We do get some young alpha male types , they tend to drag the slower ones around and then go off for a ride on their own after. It doesn't matter what you average we always go at slowest rider pace . We've had days averaging 11mph and days averaging 18mph . It just depends who's out . It's pretty informal, no membership or anything like that just a group of local riders who meet up and ride. I think you'll fit in just fine why don't you come along on Sunday and find out . I missed last week but I will be out Sunday 9am Kingsway tesco . Hope to see you there
Gordon

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Hi donger . We do get some young alpha male types , they tend to drag the slower ones around and then go off for a ride on their own after. It doesn't matter what you average we always go at slowest rider pace . We've had days averaging 11mph and days averaging 18mph . It just depends who's out . It's pretty informal, no membership or anything like that just a group of local riders who meet up and ride. I think you'll fit in just fine why don't you come along on Sunday and find out . I missed last week but I will be out Sunday 9am Kingsway tesco . Hope to see you there
Gordon
Hi Gordon. I might just be tempted to come along. Where is this week's ride going then?

OP
OP
gordyfinbar

gordyfinbar

Über Member
I've no idea . :cycle:Routes normally decided before we set off to account for rider ability . Occasionally we have a route planning meeting (mid week beer )in the pub . We normally head out Frampton/ slimbridge way . But we've been know to head up the cotswold escarpment on occasion .

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Thanks Gordon, for the invite. really enjoyed the first ride out, and the company. I'll definitely be coming along quite regularly - just probably not on days when I take the missus out for Sunday lunch. Hope to make it a semi-regular thing.
Cheers, Donger.

Dark46

Veteran
Great ride with the KCC again !
You could very easily read the first pic wrongly and think that Gordyfinbar is complaining and does want to go any further ! Again in the second pic Gordon looks as though he's complaining again, it was just he didn't want his picture taken for some reason lol.

We also took all of the Black Sheds Lemon Drissle cake! Very nice it was too and very tasty. I think Donger had the biggest slice but he doesn't do anything small! Nobody realised his size until he got off his bike !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 174
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Top Bottom