Kinross sportive 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ranger

Does Edinburgh count as 'coming from a distance' :huh: :rolleyes: :laugh: ??

'Join you for the ride' - that would great :thumbsup:.

Now you need to work on getting to a CC Forum Ride or even an RV Ride, which might even come to a cafe not too far from you :laugh: .......

... though with the commuter miles you get, I guess I'll be off the back again :blush:.

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Missed all the rides as I have been working every weekend since the start of the summer, it has had the advantage that I am topping 140 miles a week commuting on the bike to work/gym/shops etc as the wife insists on having the car

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Missed all the rides as I have been working every weekend since the start of the summer, it has had the advantage that I am topping 140 miles a week commuting on the bike to work/gym/shops etc as the wife insists on having the car
Ah, I see - so that's why your location has changed to Edinburgh - 'cos you spend more time there than at home ... :huh: Do you get any time off ?? Fancy a mid-week wide ride ? - something not too arduous - Falkland Hill from both sides ? :whistle:

You do 140 miles a week - and still go to the gym ? ... and do the shopping ? :ohmy:

I think it's just as well you haven't been on many of the rides ... another to spit me out the back :rolleyes: ;) :sad:.

kellis10

I rode part of this route yesterday. A fantastic ride all be it in the rain. The climb out of Dunning back towards Kinross (dragon climb) is "interesting" with 20-25% hairpins 2/3 of the way up and around 70miles into the sportive route.

http://www.sportivecentral.com/index.php?p=climbs&rid=47&page=3

My advice is take a triple chainset if you have one!

Apparently the dragon climb gets its name from the the legend that at Dunning Saint Serf is said to have slain a dragon that was terrorising the residents. But after yesterday my altenate theory is that is that it is impossible to cycle up without breathing out fire!

I rode part of this route yesterday. A fantastic ride all be it in the rain. The climb out of Dunning back towards Kinross (dragon climb) is "interesting" with 20-25% hairpins 2/3 of the way up and around 70miles into the sportive route.

http://www.sportivec...s&rid=47&page=3

Apparently the dragon climb gets its name from the the legend that at Dunning Saint Serf is said to have slain a dragon that was terrorising the residents. But after yesterday my altenate theory is that is that it is impossible to cycle up without breathing out fire!

Chappeau :bravo: One of the first times I did it my tripple got stuck in the middle chain ring (42t) luckilly I've got a 26 at the back. Ive subseqently done it on a compact (50-36, 12-25) and a double (52-38, 12-25) at 21.5% max, its steep but nothing you couldn't tackle with a compact if you don't have a tripple.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste

Rode up it as part of my first ever 100k ride. Didn't know it was that steep, so just got into the bottom gear (39-25/7 ?) and 'rode what was in front of me'
eek2.gif

For the rest of that season, when confronted with a steep climb, I'd say to myself 'you rode the Path o' Condie, you rode the Path o' Condie' - and it helped
bravo.gif

Came down it in the very wet yesterday and it was a bit hairy - many were struggling to get round the right-angle bend at the bottom.

2 didn't
icon_sad.gif

1 x hospital with1 x
roadrash on my shoulder and elbow; some bruises in the making; a ruined helmet, jacket, brand-new jersey and brake lever cover. Pretty lucky really

It deserves respect, whichever way you are doing it, more so going down in the wet
eek.gif

Ranger

Might do the blue route :whistle:

Rode up it as part of my first ever 100k ride. Didn't know it was that steep, so just got into the bottom gear (39-25/7 ?) and 'rode what was in front of me'
eek2.gif

For the rest of that season, when confronted with a steep climb, I'd say to myself 'you rode the Path o' Condie, you rode the Path o' Condie' - and it helped
bravo.gif

Came down it in the very wet yesterday and it was a bit hairy - many were struggling to get round the right-angle bend at the bottom.

2 didn't = 1 x hospital with broken collar bone, 1 x

roadrash on my shoulder and elbow; some bruises in the making; a ruined helmet, jacket, brand-new jersey and brake lever cover. Pretty lucky really

It deserves respect, whichever way you are doing it, more so going down in the wet
eek.gif

Its not but chapeau Scoosh :bravo: its damm steep, I think about 20.5 or 21% max and the Path of Condie about 19.5% max iirc.

Thank goodness I've never done it in the wet!

MichaelM

Guru

You rode it in the "wrong direction". The route descends that section - and only the black route. Hlab rode it in the direction the black route will be following.

kellis10

You rode it in the "wrong direction". The route descends that section - and only the black route. Hlab rode it in the direction the black route will be following.

Apologies my mistake I typed "Sportive & Kinross" into google and came up with this route:-http://www.sportivecentral.com/?p=routes&rid=11&page=1 , which I followed on Sunday assuming it was the sportive route.

However, having checked the official web site I see my mistake the sportive route climbs Kinross to Dunning via the Glendevon common of Dunning climb this is quite a forgiving gradient to around the same height (its steeper on the decent), but no where near as severe as the dragon climb which climbs from Dunning to Path of Condie.

Looks like I will need to find time to do the correct route one weekend. Shame, cycling through the beautiful Perthshire countryside is such a hardship.

Anyway forgive me for the false alarm!

Ps I would still recommend the unofficial route to anyone who has any spare time in the area.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
They should have done that black route clockwise as I reckon it would be harder. Suppose I could train that way so when going the other way it will be a little bit easier
whistling.gif
The important bit in all that is I need to train as I've not been getting out as much as i need/want to and have been getting slower especially on the hills and that's just not good.
angry.gif

This month is my 1 year anniversary of starting to cycle again after about a 25 year lay off
blush.gif
and considering I took 40 mins to recover from an initial 6 mile ride back then I'm not doing too bad as I now average 17-18mph on most lumpy runs and was up to 20mph on flatter runs. Not what you'd call super fast but some progress all the same.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland

http://www.sportivecentral.com/index.php?p=climbs&rid=47&page=3

OK, so who is going to suggest this for the next CC Ecosse ride??

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
How about you, since your a fine upstanding member of this community, and one of the elder statesmen so to speak :whistle:
maybe you should call it, but if you need a little help how about Dunblane, East Lothian,Stirling, anywhere really :bicycle:

:rofl:

go for it, HJ!! I've been waiting for somebody to volunteer be volunteered - it's been ages since the last CC Ecosse ride!

Back on topic, it's nice to see that there is choice of different rides, to appeal to a wide range of people, not sure about the "should use a road bike" thing in the description :ohmy: ...

T

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Back on topic, it's nice to see that there is choice of different rides, to appeal to a wide range of people, not sure about the "should use a road bike" thing in the description :ohmy: ...

T
You'll be OK then, as it'll be a good ride out for the N+1 = R**l*y

Scoosh

Velocouchiste

T
You'll be OK then, as it'll be a good ride out for the N + 1 = R**l*y :whistle:

.. or N + 1 = white CdF ;)

I think they want to keep it to road bikes to keep the speeds up - possibly even to dissuade the MTB fraternity. :unsure:

Top Bottom