Kipps' (book featuring bikes)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kapelmuur

Veteran
5 years earlier is ‘3 Men on the Bummel” by Jerome K Jerome. It’s a follow up to “3 Men in a Boat” and features the same protagonists. It’s some time since I read it but I remember thinking that there was a lot in cycling that hadn’t changed in the last 100+ years.

H. G. Wells wrote a “Wheels of Chance” 10 years before “Kipps”. I haven’t read it yet

5 years earlier is ‘3 Men on the Bummel” by Jerome K Jerome. It’s a follow up to “3 Men in a Boat” and features the same protagonists. It’s some time since I read it but I remember thinking that there was a lot in cycling that hadn’t changed in the last 100+ years.

H. G. Wells wrote a “Wheels of Chance” 10 years before “Kipps”. I haven’t read it yet
Have read some of the last one. Available for free on project gutenberg i think.
I think one of our clan has a username taken from it.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member

Three Men on the Bummel is a lovely book, the only book I’ve read three times, except for Three Men in a Boat which is a book I’ve read at least six times.

rikki

Legendary Member
In 1895, Frances Willard (American educator, temperance reformer, and women's suffragist) published "A Wheel Within a Wheel - How I Learned to Ride The Bicycle".

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Maybe cheating slightly, as it's a book specifically about cycling rather than a work of fiction featuring cycling, but here's the title page of my copy of the Badminton Library on Cycling. It's a second edition, 1889. I don't know the date of the first edition, but it probably wasn't more than a few years earlier. As it says, numerous illustrations; 18 full page plates, and probably about 60 "woodcuts in text" (seriously, woodcuts?).
Altogether fascinating to dip into.

rikki

Legendary Member
Maybe cheating slightly, as it's a book specifically about cycling rather than a work of fiction featuring cycling, but here's the title page of my copy of the Badminton Library on Cycling. It's a second edition, 1889. I don't know the date of the first edition, but it probably wasn't more than a few years earlier. As it says, numerous illustrations; 18 full page plates, and probably about 60 "woodcuts in text" (seriously, woodcuts?).
Altogether fascinating to dip into.
View attachment 503455
First published 1887.

Top Bottom