Kit for JOGLE?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sabian92

Über Member
Hey,

I'm planning a 2014 JOGLE (or LEJOG, not decided yet) with my fiancee and I was wondering if this is enough kit, too much kit or what?

http://jogle2014.blogspot.co.uk/p/equipment.html (Not a shameless plug, honest! :laugh:)

It'll be spread over 4 panniers (2 rear panniers on each bike + bar bag on each bike) although I should hasten to add I will be doing it on a road bike that can only have a rear rack anyway. It's definitely a B&B/Premier Inn tour (she likes her nice warm bed at night and I like a shower/bath) so we don't need stove/tent/bags/kitchen sink etc. That and I can't erect a tent either. :biggrin:

We have never toured before (She hasn't really ridden a bike since she was about 9 either so THAT could be fun.... ^_^) so any "take this/that/the other out" is fine and welcomed.

I know it seems like a long way off to be planning but It's going to take me ages to save up for it. I want one of us to have a decent tourer and I get the feeling it's probably not going to be me as I have a decent enough bike as it is, she doesn't so it stands to reason she should get it.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Dont think i saw lights/batteries, powerlink which id take :smile:

Leave the shaving stuff at home, grow a LEJOG beard ^_^

OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member
Dont think i saw lights/batteries, powerlink which id take :smile:

Leave the shaving stuff at home, grow a LEJOG beard ^_^

To be honest that was more for her than me :biggrin: Actually, that and I shave my pits (sweat less, it's less odd than it sounds) so I'd keep it in. A few razors and a bit of shaving foam won't really take up a lot of space.

Lights are in there and we don't need batteries for anything. Everything is rechargeable (which reminds me, I didn't add in chargers...)

DBH

You seem to have your planning well in hand. Take bin liners to line your panniers as no matter what the manufacturers say no bag is totally waterproof against a Sutherland "shower". I hate batteries, but I too would bring lights with them. As you are not camping you could (no, will) find yourself having been delayed by punctures with miles to go to your accommodation and darkness approaching rapidly. The best prep you and your fiancée can do is beg/borrow bikes until you get your own and start riding. You want to get rid of that rear-end discomfort ASAP. Cycle touring is the best way to see the world and there comes that magical moment when after two or three days you realise your brain is consumed with the view and the sheer delight of the open road and you have stopped thinking about the cycling. Nothing delays that moment more than saddle sores. Oh yeah, and the one thing you can't prepare for: the fun. Good luck.

snorri

Legendary Member
Kindle....when will you find time to use it?
Brake pads..check condition/replace before starting out, one set will last throughout the trip.
Puncture repair kit and tyre levers....include.
Degreaser.....will you need this?
First Aid...... list seems rather long, you are never going to be far from a chemist shop. I just take plasters and Savlon.
Nail clippers.....take a pair of scissors instead. Scissors are more multi-functional than nail clippers.
Shower gel/shampoo/conditioner.....just take a bar of soap..
Add a roll of plastic adhesive tape(electrical insulating). This can come in handy for holding broken things together!
Good luck, enjoy:smile:.

OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member
The Kindle was more for at night for half an hour or so as we like our reading. Taking books is far bulkier :biggrin:. I didn't think of that, I'll take the spare pads out. I knew I needed puncture stuff I just forgot to put it in but thanks for reminding me.

Degreaser was for when the chain needs relubing - I always run it through degreaser first but I suppose I could leave that out.

You seem to have your planning well in hand. Take bin liners to line your panniers as no matter what the manufacturers say no bag is totally waterproof against a Sutherland "shower". I hate batteries, but I too would bring lights with them. As you are not camping you could (no, will) find yourself having been delayed by punctures with miles to go to your accommodation and darkness approaching rapidly. The best prep you and your fiancée can do is beg/borrow bikes until you get your own and start riding. You want to get rid of that rear-end discomfort ASAP. Cycle touring is the best way to see the world and there comes that magical moment when after two or three days you realise your brain is consumed with the view and the sheer delight of the open road and you have stopped thinking about the cycling. Nothing delays that moment more than saddle sores. Oh yeah, and the one thing you can't prepare for: the fun. Good luck.

I'll throw them in then, least we have them if we need them.

We have bikes, I just have a road bike (although I'm getting a pair of bombproof handbuilts made from Spa Cycles at some stage) and her bike is not up to touring at all. We just need to ride them! :biggrin:

Cheers for your advice though, much appreciated.

As you intend to B&B and Hotel, you could manage with just the saddle bag each, or just the Rear pannier set. Forget the AirZound, they just make a very loud noise which serves no purpose other than piss of people.
You will only need one mirror, unless you want to exercise your neck and even one mirror can scare the shoot out of you as you see what coming up behind you..
One Jersey will do as you are also have planned to use Long sleeve base layer
3 pair of sox's one on, one spare, and one washed each evening and hung on your saddle bag/ panniers if not dry by morning.
As you are B&B or Hotel, no need to take most of the toiletries, take a Microtowel half a bar of soap and half used tooth paste tube incase the B&B or Hotel does not supply.

For maps, just buy one of the A5 bound road maps, map your route on the maps you need, and tear them out of the book
Bin the Kindle, just something else to go wrong, when the rain and damp get into it.
Good to take a compass, as it allows you to get a idea of which direction North is.
Degreaser, waste of time on tour, just relube the chain each evening or morning, as the rain and and water off the road will remove most of the external Lube off the chain during the day.
I always before setting riding each day check the Nuts and bolts on the bike, and cables and do check the fasteners that hold the Chainset to the crankarms and also the screw that hold the Crankset to the Bottom Bracket. if they loosen or you lose the screws you can have some big problems.
Also carry a small amount of spare screws to cover what your bike uses, then if you lose any you have spares

The Kindle was more for at night for half an hour or so as we like our reading. Taking books is far bulkier :biggrin:. I didn't think of that, I'll take the spare pads out. I knew I needed puncture stuff I just forgot to put it in but thanks for reminding me.
The nice thing about a good book is that those pages that have been read make good toilet paper if caught short out on the road

OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member
Well, i'm not sure how common that is but I have no plans of crapping in bushes if I have a toilet in a hotel room every night ^_^

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
+1 to most of the comments above

I'd drop the towel (you will get them at B&Bs) and review the clothing needs when you have more cycling under your belt. For instance I would take arm warmers + short sleeved base layer rather than long-sleeved as it gives you more temperature control.I'd take 2 pairs of mitts and some catering rubber gloves (you can wear the gloves if you get cold or need to work with oily components),

I'd take a small bit of tough rubber as a tyre "boot" (so if your tyre holes you can get to a bike shop and buy a new one). Insulating tape and plastic ties can be ride-savers too when something goes wrong.

I'll be doing LEJOG shortly and will put new tyres on a week or so before I leave as the ones I have are getting close to the end of their life. Your's may or may not be, but check them, the chain and the brake blocks a few days before you set off and replace as required. Doing it a few days beforehand and going for a couple of rides will hopefully reveal if you bought a defective part or fitted them wrongly.

For really long rides a small bag on the cross bar which can take snacks can be handy - saves you having to dig under a waterproof for them.

If riding in midsummer I'd take only basic lights as I'd be stuck out in the dark only in an emergency. I'll be riding in October so I will need good ones as I will probably be spending an hour or two each day in poor light.

I try and get bike specific electric gear, GPS and whatever, that takes AA or AAA batteries. I use rechargeables normally, but on a trip like this buy batteries as I go along.

Assuming you have a smart phone and or bike computer would not bother with a watch, they just give you a sore wrist over a long distance.

Finally I'd say do a ride from home with exactly the kit you are planning, for the length and difficulty of your longest stage, about 3 weeks ahead of the tour. It should reveal anything that could ruin your tour, like badly fitting shoes. For instance I did a 1000 mile ride in Italy a couple of years back and I found that the design of mitts I was planning on taking gave me blisters after about half of the 600Km Audax I did as prep.

Mr Bunbury

If you're B&B touring (or 'credit card touring' as it's known), you don't need that much stuff.
A week ago, I finished a fortnight's tour back to England from Italy via the Balkans. Here is my bike in Croatia, including everything I wasn't wearing.
8068536638_eff0cf8533.jpg

A few points to consider:
Extra kit doesn't just weigh you down, it makes your bike handle funny. Having multiple bags is also annoying when you want to detach them and leave your bike somewhere. I've fitted a shoulder strap to my saddlebag, so carrying it off the bike is very easy.
If something gets dirty, wash it and tie it onto your saddlebag to dry. Your shorts and jersey will usually dry overnight, so you only need one set of those.
You don't need to be prepared for any eventuality when you set out. If necessary, you can always buy whatever it is you need at a shop along the way.

Here's my kit list from my recent trip. I could have made it lighter, by only taking one book or by getting myself re-used to MTB pedals so that I didn't need the pair of sandals. However, it fitted in my bag so I thought it was an acceptable compromise for a 2 week trip ... or at least I did until I reached the Alps!

Clothes
sleeveless baselayer
SS jersey
arm warmers
gilet
LS jersey
waterproof jacket
Rain legs
fingerless mits
bibshorts
knee warmers
2x pairs socks (1 thin, 1 thick)
road cycling shoes (LOOK type)
sandals (for off-bike wear, would be unnecessary if I used SPD type bike shoes)
1 x t shirt
1 x polo shirt
2 x underpants
1 x trousers
1 x fleece jumper
Hi Viz mesh bib

Electronics
Digital camera (in tri bag on top tube)
GPS
mobile phone
camera charger
phone charger