Kitchen gadgets you’ve just discovered.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
We are currently staying in a holiday home and they have a small ice maker, wow, it’s a game changer, I don’t know how I’ve managed 58 years without one!

anyone else made a similar recent discovery?

alicat

Legendary Member
^^^ I'm curious why you're so impressed with it? Is it very hot where you are? What are you doing with all the ice?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
^^^ I'm curious why you're so impressed with it? Is it very hot where you are? What are you doing with all the ice?

MrsF picked one up via work, big discount. Quite handy to rattle a load of ice cubes off and chuck in the freezer. Quite handy if you've forgotten the ice cubes in a tray.

simongt

Guru
Not a discovery as such, but the wee lever gizmo that prises ring pulls up enough to be able to get your finger under is very useful. :okay:
Don't recall ring pulls being such an issue in the past; have the lids been redesigned to allow the ring pull to seat more closely to the lid itself thus requiring said lever gizmo - ? :wacko:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Don't recall ring pulls being such an issue in the past; have the lids been redesigned to allow the ring pull to seat more closely to the lid itself thus requiring said lever gizmo - ? :wacko:
Nay, it's just your age, onset of arthritis in hands :whistle:
On the by, a flat knife, the handle of a teaspoon, a flat head screwdriver or similar, can be used if one doesn't have a gizmo handy.

Dadam

I do miss the old style ring pulls. You could break the tab off and put the end in one of the slots of the ring, hold the tab and pull the ring back and fire it across the room like a miniature frisbee!

Chris S

Legendary Member
Not a discovery as such, but the wee lever gizmo that prises ring pulls up enough to be able to get your finger under is very useful. :okay:

Discarded ring pulls were causing a litter problem. The 'new' design, which came out in the late 1980s, avoids this by keeping the ring pull attached to the can.

I discovered that laying the toaster on its side allows one to make instant cheese on toast.

Sadly, the toaster eventually exploded and the ensuing bollarding from Mrs D now prevents me attempting to use any other kitchen appliances in interesting ways.
We’ve just bought some roasties bags so we can do just that but all the melted cheese stays in the bag. Apparently can be re used something like 100 times and can be washed in the dishwasher. Not bad for £3.00 from Home Bargains.

Tin openers are amazing. I don't need to use a hammer and chisel any more to open tins.

I still have a very small tin opener my Dad used to have - it just has a flat piece of metal with a small hook on it and a blade that comes out at right angles and pivots into the top of the can to cut a circle

well - not a circle - it is made up of a series of sharp 2-3mm straight edges

you end up with something a ninja might used on an assault against the Shogun's stronghold!
We used ot keep it in the car to open cans of 'pop' in the good old days before these new fangled ring pulls
Proper cans of pop where the slightest agitation in the last 17 hours would result in a geyser that would make Yellowstone jealous!

Top Bottom