Kitchen gadgets you’ve just discovered.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Releasing the vacuum with a bottle opener normally allows a jar to be opened IME.

Yes, but then you have a hole in the lid, so you can't reseal it.

I usually use one of those rubber strap devices like this. Permanently lives in one of the kitchen drawers.
1692609093424.png

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Yes, but then you have a hole in the lid, so you can't reseal it.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough.

Use a bottle opener to just slightly pull the side of the lid away to break the seal and release the vacuum. No need to make a hole.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
£1.00 each from Sainsbury's. Often found hanging near the yoghurts. A real pleasure
640x640.jpg

to find them because storage lids are no longer supplied with cream and yoghurt pots
and other suppliers of reusable lids assume you want to buy a set of six, five of which are in sizes
you never use.

presta

Guru
Iv discovered you can use a sauce pan lid on top of chicken in a frying pan to keep it moist

I spent years looking for a new frying pan to replace mine before the handle falls off, but couldn't find anyone selling them with lids (bar one or two cheap crappy ones). Eventually, I gave up and decided to buy a pan with no lid before I get scalded, then spent an hour or so enlarging the lid from the old pan to fit the new one. No sooner had I finished the job than I discovered that Amazon sell pan lids separately from the pans....

Alex321

Veteran
£1.00 each from Sainsbury's. Often found hanging near the yoghurts. A real pleasure
View attachment 703412
to find them because storage lids are no longer supplied with cream and yoghurt pots
and other suppliers of reusable lids assume you want to buy a set of six, five of which are in sizes
you never use.

Recently our instant coffee has been the Kenco Millicano stuff that comes in a can with a lid that is the same size as most cans you are likely to want to re-seal, so we use those.

We do have some of those stretchy type things, but in larger sizes than that, usually used for covering a bowl, when we have used half a tin of tuna, or have made enough potato salad for a couple of meals, or anything similar.

presta

Guru
I discovered that laying the toaster on its side allows one to make instant cheese on toast.

Sadly, the toaster eventually exploded and the ensuing bollarding from Mrs D now prevents me attempting to use any other kitchen appliances in interesting ways.

So instead of a pop-up tosater it's a pop-half-way-across-the-kitchen toaster?

Alex321

Veteran
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough.

Use a bottle opener to just slightly pull the side of the lid away to break the seal and release the vacuum. No need to make a hole.

And I misread anyhow, I was thinking of the pointy-ended can openers, not bottle openers. The type you use to make a hole in the top of a can of evaporated milk or other liquid product.

presta

Guru
Tin openers are amazing. I don't need to use a hammer and chisel any more to open tins.

I once watched a black guy at Cheltenham YMCA open a tin really quickly and slickly, with an 8" kitchen knife. Presumably he'd grown up in a country where tin openers were a luxury.

Only relevant to one specific brand and model of toaster
but when my daughter was young I had trouble getting her to eat breakfast in time for her to get to school - and me to work

Our toaster was a "cool wall" variety and so had quite thick walls that finished about 1cm from the bottom of the toaster and stuck out
ALso the spring popping up the toast was quite strong
I discovered, as you do (or at any rate - as I do) that the toaster would balance at an angle on the protruding wall
and if you did that when the toaster was toasting some bread then the bread would pop up so much that it would leave the toaster slots and land on a strategically placed plate
My daughter loved it and happily ate the toast afterwards

I did have to do 2 pieces of toast one at a time - for amusement purposes
(My ex - who would still be in bed at the time - considered it childish and silly and inappropriate - can;t think why I didn;t leave her earlier!!!!)

icowden

Veteran
(My ex - who would still be in bed at the time - considered it childish and silly and inappropriate - can;t think why I didn;t leave her earlier!!!!)
My younger daughter as had worries about growing up recently (she is 14) - I helpfully pointed out that it isn't compulsory and some of us can be as childish as we like. We have more fun that way (speaking as a 49 year old man who just attended a secret Disney workshop at Galaxy's Edge and who now has a VERY COOL lightsabre).

View: https://youtu.be/tKnSyxhc9IM

Last edited:

icowden

Veteran
I spent years looking for a new frying pan to replace mine before the handle falls off, but couldn't find anyone selling them with lids (bar one or two cheap crappy ones).
I thought I had found a really good one with high walls. Seemed like the Holy Grail of frying pans but has deteriorated VERY quickly. A year on and it looks knackered. I also discovered that while the high walls keep any splashes in, they aren't very compatible with frying slices (the flippy things).

Alex321

Veteran
My younger daughter as had worries about growing up recently (she is 14) - I helpfully pointed out that it isn't compulsory and some of us can be as childish as we like. We have more fun that way (speaking as a 49 year old man who just attended a secret Disney workshop at Galaxy's Edge and who now has a VERY COOL lightsabre).

View: https://youtu.be/tKnSyxhc9IM

Only 49? You have a lot of "not growing up" to do to catch some of us up :smile:

Top Bottom