Kitchen gadgets you’ve just discovered.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
And if the knife slips?

Then you push it under the ring again.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I discovered that laying the toaster on its side allows one to make instant cheese on toast.

Sadly, the toaster eventually exploded and the ensuing bollarding from Mrs D now prevents me attempting to use any other kitchen appliances in interesting ways.

Someone at my caving club was given an "award" for that innovation and alleged cosequence . I was disappointed I'd not thought of it myself to be honest, and think the destroyed toaster was merely a co-incidence, which you should explain to your good lady by the way

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
MrsF picked one up via work, big discount. Quite handy to rattle a load of ice cubes off and chuck in the freezer. Quite handy if you've forgotten the ice cubes in a tray.

When I try and preserve a batch of ice cubes in the freezer, they solidify into a lump that can only be made useful again with a Leon Trotsky ice pick and a lot of work. It's a disaster.

Retyred.life

I still have a very small tin opener my Dad used to have - it just has a flat piece of metal with a small hook on it and a blade that comes out at right angles and pivots into the top of the can to cut a circle

well - not a circle - it is made up of a series of sharp 2-3mm straight edges

you end up with something a ninja might used on an assault against the Shogun's stronghold!
We used ot keep it in the car to open cans of 'pop' in the good old days before these new fangled ring pulls
Proper cans of pop where the slightest agitation in the last 17 hours would result in a geyser that would make Yellowstone jealous!

Indispensable 'kitchen' item when camping. Originally designed for US military.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-38_can_opener#:~:text=The P-38 (larger variant,included in the C-ration.
702_1.png

Got a couple of those around 30 years back,from Millets I think, and never used them. I was doing a fair bit of backpacking type escapades back then, and they seemed like a good idea. I think it was the cusp of tins having ring pulls that meant they were never used, but my life just wasn't complete without having them on standby. I expect Ray Mears would fully understand this.

mikeIow

Guru
Milk top pourers.
Makes using 4 pint bottles simples.
IMG_2210.jpeg

Mike_P

Guru
Not a discovery as such, but the wee lever gizmo that prises ring pulls up enough to be able to get your finger under is very useful. :okay:
Don't recall ring pulls being such an issue in the past; have the lids been redesigned to allow the ring pull to seat more closely to the lid itself thus requiring said lever gizmo - ? :wacko:

Another use for those is slipping in the underside of a new jar lid and giving a it short twist to make it easy to remove the lid.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Another use for those is slipping in the underside of a new jar lid and giving a it short twist to make it easy to remove the lid.

Not thought of that.....I will give it a try.
If I get a jar with a lid that won't budge I give it several whacks with eg a large spoon (large spoons are always close to hand).
Edit.
Tried it but the one I have won't work......maybe not pointy enough ?

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Not thought of that.....I will give it a try.
If I get a jar with a lid that won't budge I give it several whacks with eg a large spoon (large spoons are always close to hand).
Edit.
Tried it but the one I have won't work......maybe not pointy enough ?

Releasing the vacuum with a bottle opener normally allows a jar to be opened IME.

Top Bottom