Km or miles? (Cidre not Cider) and is Strava where it's at?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
I have two computers on my bke, one metric and one imperial so just use whichever I want on the day. :smile:
My car records distance in miles, the petrol pumps deliver fuel in litres, I am conscious of fuel consumption so measure that in miles per litre which is crazy, but it works.^_^

OP
OP
Jaco45er

Jaco45er

Snorri your handlebars must look like the bridge of the starship enterprise ;)

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I'm comfortable with the metric system, but for some reason still tend to think of people's height in feet and inches. Australia switched to the metric system between 1970 and 1988 (i.e. it was a drawn-out painful process). I have no idea how much this cost the government and commercial and private enterprises, but it was no doubt a lot.

It's about time we decided which way to jump as a nation.

Base 10 is clearly more sensible imo but I appreciate a switch would be costly.

Much as I like being a Britainer(!) our units of measurement were dreamn't up by the mathematically challenged eg 240 pennies in a pound or 14 lbs in a stone.
I agree it is time we stopped the present duel system and went one way or the other, The milkman delivers a pint but in the shops we buy a litre of milk. We buy a litre of petrol but work our consumption in MPH.

Ciar

Veteran
I use strava and cyclemetre and always have both apps set to miles, don't do km's and i don't think i will convert now.

Bodhbh

Guru
I'm probably a bit odd in that i think (outwith the track at least) of distance and speed in terms of miles / mph but height gained in terms of metres!

I'm the same with thinking mainly of distance in miles and elevation in metres. It's not like it's hard to do quick guestimates of km and feet tho. Gets me thinking I'm mixed up on a few things - I can understand weight in either stone or kilos, but pounds I have to convert to kilos make some sense of it. With food shopping, it's the opposite - pounds I can understand...kilos I have to convert.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Start worrying when you still occasionally convert back to LSD and I don't mean the drug :laugh: I can just remember going with my Dad to fill up on petrol and it was 7 shillings and 6 pence for a gallon! 37.5pence for those that can't remember pounds, shillings and pennies. :blush: .....and I got half a crown pocket money 12.5 pence

Wayne Tully

Depends on the race to me, especially with running, if I'm doing a 10K I set it to KM if I'm doing a marathon then it's miles.

Wayne Tully

Also I prefer Endomondo to Strava, on Strava there's too many wannabe racers setting KOM's and sprints that they will bore you to death about, I only care about beating 1 person and that's me.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Also I prefer Endomondo to Strava, on Strava there's too many wannabe racers setting KOM's and sprints that they will bore you to death about, I only care about beating 1 person and that's me.

Interesting that you're going on about racing in your previous post though. Perhaps you're more competitive than you realise :smile:

Linford

Not so happy with strava. Whipped phone out when i got to a waypoint on my ride today to take a pic for posterity, and it terminated the recording of the ride :sad:

Wayne Tully

Interesting that you're going on about racing in your previous post though. Perhaps you're more competitive than you realise :smile:

I do go into proper races and I do try to finish as high as I can but that's different to adult men try to out do each other on a section of the A32846

Top Bottom