KMC chains. A quick question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have bought a KMC chain to replace a worn out campag 10 speed on my steed. It has the quick link to join it. Does the chain split in the normal way as I have to shorten it by a couple of links?

battered

Guru
Yes, AFAIK you can push out a rivet in the usual way to get the thing to the right length.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Yes, to make doubly sure.

I replaced my worn out SRAM chain with a KMC one. It came with a Powerlink, but I preferred to use the traditional 'push pin out and re-join when I got the right length' method.

Chrisc

Guru
fossyant said:
KMC quick links are very good.....

MINI HIJACK

Might very well be a dumb question BUT here goes...
If you needed a couple of extra links, having say, changed the cassette from 12-25 to 12-27, could you use two quick links, should you fit a new chain, or would it be OK using the same chain length for just two extra teeth?

Chrisc said:
MINI HIJACK

If you needed a couple of extra links, having say, changed the cassette from 12-25 to 12-27, could you use two quick links, should you fit a new chain, or would it be OK using the same chain length for just two extra teeth?
On my utility bike I changed the cassette from a 11-34 to 11-32 and was advised not to change the length of the chain. IIRC technically it should be 1/2 a link shorter. The forum was right I've not had a problem with it.

Using the same logic your chain would technically need to be 1/2 a link longer; your existing chain length will be OK. With a new cassette though you should fit a new chain, although the number of links will be the same as the old.

Moodyman said:
Yes, to make doubly sure.

I replaced my worn out SRAM chain with a KMC one. It came with a Powerlink, but I preferred to use the traditional 'push pin out and re-join when I got the right length' method.

Unless you actually used a new deformable pin for this, you now have a weak point on the chain.

Chrisc said:
MINI HIJACK

Yes you can use two quick links but you need to space them apart.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Does anybody know if you can buy KMC quick links? I was separating a chain recently, thinking "mustn't lose the link" when the end of the chain dropped, whipped round... and that was the last I ever saw of half of the link despite searching the garage!

Top Bottom