KMC quick links 11sp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
so 9 and 10 speed KMC links are reuseable, but 11 speed are 'single use'!

has anyone tried reusing an 11sp KMC link? Will it fail to work properly after the first time of joining and splitting?

D

Deleted member 23692

They are buggers to undo without tools compared with 9 & 10spd versions.

I reuse mine, until I can undo them by hand. My current one must have been split around a dozen times by now and I've not had a problem so far

D

Deleted member 23692

The 11 speed link is thinner, I wouldn't dare reuse one.
I've just measure the thickness of the side plates on a selection of 9, 10 &11spd KMC links and they are all pretty much the same. The thinnest being 0.89mm (9spd) and the thickest 0.93 (11spd), but the majority were around 0.91-0.92mm regardless of drivetrain

11spd are narrower due to the shorter pin length - the side plates are the same thickness

Last edited by a moderator:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As it goes with any quick link, I keep one in the puncture kit, just in-case. I don't otherwise re-use them. I don't split the chain again once fitted. Cleaning just needs lube and a rag.

Same here, although for longer rides I take a Park Tools mini splitter - if I remember.

I've just measure the thickness of the side plates on a selection of 9, 10 &11spd KMC links and they are all pretty much the same. The thinnest being 0.89mm (9spd) and the thickest 0.93 (11spd), but the majority were around 0.91-0.92mm regardless of drivetrain

11spd are narrower due to the shorter pin length - the side plates are the same thickness
That's what I meant. The plates are much of a muchness, the pins have to be shorter on the 11 speed.

That's what I meant. The plates are much of a muchness, the pins have to be shorter on the 11 speed.
Hmmmmm.
Why then would you not dare to reuse it?

so 9 and 10 speed KMC links are reuseable, but 11 speed are 'single use'!

has anyone tried reusing an 11sp KMC link? Will it fail to work properly after the first time of joining and splitting?
Non-reusable master links differ from reusable ones in that a little notch on the sideplate, where the pin lodges, is slightly flattened when undoing the link. On reusable links this notch is also present but the pin's groove can jump the notch when the plates are squeezed together, as they should.
The absence of this notch or, the presence of a damaged notch, does not make the link weaker. It just makes it more likely to come undone. Even this is very hard to do since the chain has to receive both a compressive force on that link and a sideways force. This is very, very unlikely but can happen if your freewheel is slightly sticky and tends to throw the chain forward and, you change gears at the same time. It is almost as unlikely as winning the lotto.

What most people don't know is that using one of those quick link plier tools destroys all quick links, including reusable ones. The only way to safely use a link pliers is to squeeze the two side plates together before apply force to the pliers. This always takes a bit of skin off your fingers and means you did it right.

Hands up how many of you use your tool correctly? I don't do double entendres so don't read anything into this.

Last edited:
Master Link Front Face.jpg

Here's a face-on photo of a reusable master link. On the right where the pin slots in, the notch in the centre of the figure 8 hole is visible. In order for the link to disengage the pin has to move towards you and jump the notch when moving to the left. On a non-reusable on the notch is a one-way barb that is destroyed upon removal. During use, the pin's head lies inside the recess but has to lift and move over when being removed.

Master Link Pin View.jpg

The groove in the pin is wider than the sideplate is thick, allowing it to be squeezed together and jump the notch.

Top Bottom