KMC Quick Release Link

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
I'm having a lot of trouble connecting the quick release link on the new chain. It's a 10 speed chain

I guess there's a knack to this?

I can easily release the link by pushing the 2 plates together but I don't seem to have the strength in my fingers to be able to push and slide at the same time to get the link back together

winjim

Smash the cistern
Get it into position, then hold the rear brake on and turn the cranks.

I went the individual route though with citybabe only quoting connecting problems, but it's a valid point well put :okay:

ayceejay

Guru
Multi-tool-chain-hook.jpg
I have found the most useful tool is a bit of bent wire (an old spoke ?) about 6 - 8 inches long and bent to 90 degrees at both ends if you hook one end into the chain on one side of the link then pull it over slackening the chain and then hooking the other end in on the other side of the link you will have a length of slack chain that is easy to work with.
I hope that makes sense, my brain nearly exploded writing that.

OP
OP
citybabe

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
View attachment 83358 I have found the most useful tool is a bit of bent wire (an old spoke ?) about 6 - 8 inches long and bent to 90 degrees at both ends if you hook one end into the chain on one side of the link then pull it over slackening the chain and then hooking the other end in on the other side of the link you will have a length of slack chain that is easy to work with.
I hope that makes sense, my brain nearly exploded writing that.

Always wondered what that piece of metal was for in the multi tool I have!

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I don't know if you are still having trouble, but if you are, the folowing might help.
IIRC the hole in the connecting plate does not exactly follow the contour of the outside edge of the plate. If you look carefully, you will see a small cut out at one end. Put the link through the chain and the non cut out side of the connecting plate over one of the links. Hold the chain just before the link in one hand and push the plate forward with your thumb nail. Hold the other side of the link with your other hand and press with your thumb, the connecting plate onto its link. Then flex the chain towards you. whilst pushing the plate onto the link. There should be very little flex in the chain, but just sufficient for you to get the plate securely onto the link.

Top Bottom