Knackered - any advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, some of you may remember me even though I've not been on here in a while.

I was a student for 7 years graduating last year and used to go everywhere by bike, the last three years by road bike and wouldn't think twice about a 10 or 20 mile trip at a 'touring' pace
last summer I started working and as I wasn't insured on my wifes car, I biked the 5 miles to work.
However, one of my brakes broke and it took me a while to sort it along with the winter weather and being insured on a car I havn't biked more than 20 miles since November ( I hang my head in shame)
I crawled in to work this morning at about 10 mph into a constant wind feeling knackered ( and the wind will turn as always before I go home)

any sugestions for getting my fitness back up quickly without being tired all the time?

Bit worried about the fact of moving in a few months and doubleing the distance of my commute.

Ta

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Black Sheep said:
any sugestions for getting my fitness back up quickly without being tired all the time?

Bit worried about the fact of moving in a few months and doubleing the distance of my commute.

Ta

Short of useing turbo's in the garage (I'm not a fan myself) I would simply suggest, you grin and bare it.

Your fitness will return very soon and you will back to touring speed before you know it. But, for now, dont push yourself too hard as it may be counter-reactive.

Had some really good advice yesterday about food intake and the use of slow bur carbs (oats and fruit) and have without doubt noticed that if i eat a banana about 30 mins before I set out I have a better ride.

martynjc1977

Veteran
Start with your commute, the 5 miles rely aint that far and should take less than 30 min without much effort then increase the mileage by about 10-20% on the way home each week. make sure you fuel your body properly, and not with junk. Good luck dude.

Keith Oates

Janner
If you a tired when you get home then if possible get to bed early and try to get a good sleep. When I manage to do that the ride on the next day is always good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Black Sheep
I've just got home for lunch and quite awake (normally awake after a ride)

not as worn out, wearing less and no pannier (off back to work after lunch)

will be using the car until friday and riding again then rather than ride every day and be worn out.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Don't forget to stretch.. i find stretching really helps after your feeling it. it's going to take a while to get back into it.

FrankM

All good advice.

Also, cycling into a headwind may have played quite a large part in your experience this morning.

shippers

Stick at it- all you can do I'm afraid!
Make sure you get some rest in too though. Shouldn't take long to get back at it, and the head wind will make a difference.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
FrankM said:
All good advice.

Also, cycling into a headwind may have played quite a large part in your experience this morning.

if I ever have a "bad" ride its usually down to a headwind...it makes a massive difference to my journey...its just so relentless and sucks the energy out of you, unlike a hill that has a top that you can focus on.

Top Bottom