Knee Ache

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PerryC

Regular
Hey guys, I'm not sure if you can help but lately I've been getting like a knee ache not a pain inside both my knees its not just in 1 its both, I also get it if I'm bending down and bending back up after bending a couple of times it does start getting to a pain.
I've adjusted my saddle to the correct height so I've got the correct amount of bend in my legs, My cleats align with my knees and the balls of my feet.
I've got the Look Keo Grey cleats with the 4.5 degree of rotation so knees aren't locked.

I only usually get it cycling up hills or when I have to go hard for instance I do keep the cadence up to about 80-90 going uphill so I'm not mashing on them.

Please Help :smile:.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you stretch all your leg muscles properly after cycling? Is the ache just on the hills or bending and then stops or is it persistent off the bike too?

If the latter, probably best to spend a few quid and see a sports physio with an interest in cycling. Could be muscle imbalance

How old are you?

OP
OP
PerryC

PerryC

Regular
I'm 22 I don't stretch any time before cycling or after its bending and on the hills I do also get it off the bike too.
I've taken 2 weeks off the saddle to see if it gets any better but I don't think it has because I still feel it when bending down just doing ordinary work a couple of times

Globalti

Legendary Member
You are getting fitter and stronger and you are pushing the mechanical strength of your knee joints beyond what they've been accustomed to all your life. Keep cycling, avoid mashing, massage gently if they ache and rest if the pain suddenly worsens or you get pudgy swollen lumps behind the knees (Baker's cysts or bursitis).

The pain will go away as your skeleton and joints gain strength to match your muscles.

OP
OP
PerryC

PerryC

Regular
cool thanks a lot m8 that's taken off a lot of worrying can get back to it now :smile:.

Thanks again.

ushills

Veteran
Don't stretch before it will affect the stability of your knees, afterwards it is important to stretch your calves and a sustained lunge is the best way, this prevents your stronger muscles pulling your knee out of position and causing pain.

Also check you don't suffer from over pronation, Google it for info, but the above may solve any problems first.

Top Bottom