Knee and back pain explained!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike!

Guru
I have suffered with knee back & neck pain for a number of years, I have always put the back and neck issues down to a car accident i had in 1998 but the knee problems started before that.

Day to day the knee doesn't bother me but if I do a 30+ mile ride it's an issue (sometimes agony), just over a year ago I sold my drop bar (cyclo x) as I couldn't get comfortable (I think it may have been to big). However I'm now saving to get my first roadie and get properly fitted so regular longer rides are my aim.

I went to see a sports physio last night (who actually does the physio for ITFC) and i turns out the problem with my knee is also connected to my back (IT Band) but more than likely caused by my right leg being 1/2inch longer than my left :laugh:. As a result the whole right side of my body is very tight, my back was cracking that much during the treatment even he was shocked. My IT Band is very sore today and i now have some excercises and stretches to do which should help me.

I'm relieved to know what the problem is and that I do not require surgery on my knee, should have gone years ago!

So to anyone suffering pains, go and see someone who knows what they are doing!!

Dave7

Legendary Member
I had a similar experience 2 years ago. Pains in my groin got gradually worse (over 3 weeks) to the point I couldn't walk 20 yards. Went to a sports physio who did some basic tests and diagnosed the problem-a old back injury was causing the 'long' muscles to shrink which pulled the hip slightly out of place-he gave me a set of 6 different stretches to do.........2 weeks later I was back to normal. I now do these stretches religiously every morning when I get up. Brilliant.
I echo your sentiment.......any problem-go to someone who knows what he/she is doing.

Top Bottom