Knee cap pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogzodiac

Im having trouble with my right Knee cap. After 20 miles or so I develop Knee pain but on the surface of my knee just off centre of the cap not inside my knee. It just comes on Suddenly, and only hurts when pushing down on the pedal. But when I get off the bike and walk or bend my knee the pain disappears. Could this be due to my Knee getting cold as most of the rides have been in cold frosty mornings or because I have not been riding long enough to strengthen my knee. Only been riding a year

talisman50082

I havent ridden my bike for over a month due to knee pain. I believe it was due to the saddle being to low. However i have continued running 2/3 times a week. My right knee was the problem but it has improved since staying out of the saddle.Will be back on the saddle when the weather improves lol.

crazyjoe101

The most common cause of knee pain is bike fit. When you are at the bottom of your pedal stroke your leg should be only slightly bent, and it you were to place the heel of your foot on the pedal your leg would essentially be straight.

If you haven't already, attempt a basic bike fit yourself, there are plenty of guides out there for it such as the one below.

If this doesn't help you then knee pain can also stem from other sources such as cleats or temperature. Experiment with knee warmers and perhaps consider a professional bike fit as I've never heard anyone speak ill after having one done, I'll be getting one eventually.

Globalti

Legendary Member
What cleats are you using and how did you set them up? If your feet turn outwards naturally when you dangle them while sitting on a table, they should be in a toes-out posture on the pedals. Forcing them straight will cause the knee pain you describe.

SimonH

Regular
Ive had knee pain in the middle and slightly left of my kneecap after about 10 miles on my bike, i rested it no good,altered cleats and seat height no good, saw a physio who diagnosed shortened hamstrings so afer a few days of stretches (and occasional foam roller,) i was ok,just 3 differant stretches 3 times a day.

talisman50082

. I get a similar knee pain which improves with stretching. I simply keep my legs straight and bend to touch the floor. Which 3 exercises do you use?

jarlrmai

Veteran
ysk that's a bad hamstring stretch, you should keep your legs slightly bent and your back largely straight and hinge form the hips till you feel the stretch in your hamstrings.

curving your back is cheating ;)

SimonH

Regular
My main stretch is just resting foot on low table,chair or something about 3ft high keeping back straight and 30 second stretches x3 ,also lying flat put a towel round your foot and gradually pull foot from vertical position stretching for 30seconds x3 works well after a hot bath!I've had no knee pain at all since I started hamstring stretches.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've been suffering from knee pain and a "grinding" noise when bending them this week after pushing myself to do a total of 50 miles last weekend.
Having read the above I think I might have been pushing too hard in the wrong gear - thinking it was the right thing to do. My fit on the bike looks about right, so I'll see how I get on this weekend...

jarlrmai

Veteran
Go to a sports therapist get your patella tracking checked don't end up off the bike for 8 months + like me

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Go to a sports therapist get your patella tracking checked don't end up off the bike for 8 months + like me

Saw my GP today and he confirmed what you suspected.
Gave me a load of VMO exercises to do and I've been banned from going out on the bike for a fortnight... I can use an exercise bike on low resistance only now and then start doing 15-30 minutes light work on the bike once the fortnight is up but it will be 10 - 12 weeks before I'm back to normal. I dropped the bike in at the shop for a service before seeing the doc, so I now face having to go fetch it in the car tomorrow morning.
To make it worse it's self inflicted as a direct result if pushing too hard in the wrong gears.
Saying I'm hacked off at this is probably the understatement of the year....:cursing:

Top Bottom