Knee cap pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Go see a massage/sports therapist, you'll want to loosen off the the other side of the leg the (vastus lateralis), a sports therapist can do release work on your VL and on your hammies/glute mede which will also be tight. You can use a foam roller as well in between sessions (rec fem, vmo, vl) and a tennis ball for the glute mede.

Your tracking can be corrected quite quickly once you get that VMO firing and the other side loose, as a bonus when you get back on the bike your climbing will be better as you'll have more engagement.

Welcome to my life which is basically massage sessions, foam roller and quad strengthening exercises.

Bad tracking can be a sign that you are at risk of something worse, like patella tendon injury or ACL.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go see a massage/sports therapist, you'll want to loosen off the the other side of the leg the (vastus lateralis), a sports therapist can do release work on your VL and on your hammies/glute mede which will also be tight. You can use a foam roller as well in between sessions (rec fem, vmo, vl) and a tennis ball for the glute mede.

Your tracking can be corrected quite quickly once you get that VMO firing and the other side loose, as a bonus when you get back on the bike your climbing will be better as you'll have more engagement.

Welcome to my life which is basically massage sessions, foam roller and quad strengthening exercises.

Bad tracking can be a sign that you are at risk of something worse, like patella tendon injury or ACL.

Or kneecap arthritis

buggi

Bird Saviour
I had a really bad knee some years ago when I was doing spinning classes. Physio told me I was slightly knock kneed on that side and the inner quarter of my quad had not developed as much as the other 3/4, resulting in cartilage problem (which actually felt like a ripped tendon or ligament to the side of my knee cap). This seemed to reflect what my mates had told me about me cycling with my knee turned in (all previous attempts to correct that resulted in knee pain). She gave me some exercises (with toe pointing out) to strengthen it. I did them for about two days and then got bored and gave up spinning and went back to normal outdoors cycling and the problem disappeared. I figured it was the way I was built and I shouldn't force my knee out. Years later a British Cycling coach told me I cycled with my ankle out. Turned out he was right and my mates were not quite so right, and once I concentrated on correcting my ankle, not my knee, which was much easier, the rest followed, which naturally realigned my knee (without me forcing the issue) and strengthened the muscle. It actually feels like I'm cycling with my toes pointing out but when I look down my foot is dead straight so it reminds me of what the physio said.

I still get a twinge every now and then just how the OP explained, right on top of my knee cap. Whether its the old problem I'm not sure, but its usually when I've been out in cold weather and/or haven't been on the bike for a couple of weeks, and it happened yesterday and my knee is sore today.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ideally you get referred for an X-Ray and MRI if the pain doesn't go away
Indeed. Or if it's not solely linked to one activity and doesn't go away when that's altered (coming from someone who's had two tatty kneecaps tidied up)

You're best to have a diagnosis before starting any sort of exercises or rehab programme

Top Bottom